The VFRW Weight Loss/Fitness Challenge Thread!!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by tinkerinWstuff, Mar 31, 2010.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Alright, the challenge is plenty and the prize is only what you earn.

Over the last 10 years I've watched my pant size go from a 32 to a 38. I added a good 20lbs in happy weight just since I met my wife three years ago. The winter before this past, we purchased an eliptical machine because of how well it works on my knees but after several months of 'fair' effort and little results the machine now sees little use.

We go skiing, snowshoeing, horsebackriding, and hiking but not often enough to keep the weight from creaping on. I've always enjoyed being active but hate "excersizing". I've watched my performance in these activities I enjoy get worse over the years and have wanted to do something about it.

Recently, a beloved VFRW member has inspired me to get my ass off the couch. :reg: Indirectly thru his own actions and determination, I found the motivation to make a commitment and make a change. Thanks Reg for blogging your P90X experiance and congratulations on your achievement! :flex: Although you issued no public challenge, I latched on to your blog as my competition - if you could do it, dammit I will to!

Another VFRW friend was kind enough to pledge his assistance to me. I don't know what that will mean but having a friend to share the struggles with now and again sure is nice, thank you vfourbear. Someone to bust your balls a little if you're slacking or complaining too much always helps me.

So, I decided to start this thread for a multitude of reasons. Besides thanking a man for leading by example, there's nothing more real than making a public commitment right? Maybe this thread will get some traction and inspire others to be as healthy as they can be?

The wife and I started P90X last Monday. I've started a food diary for the first time in my life. We took before photos and measurements. I'm not over fixated on loosing a specific amount of weight and care more about the photos and performance in outdoor activities. However I'm pretty confident I can get back down (thru a healthy program) to my dating weight of 210-215. I started at 237 last week.

The challenge really is this; if you want to make a change then be man enough to put it here on record and make it happen. The reward will be your own. Feel free to share your success stories if you've already undergone a fitness program, maybe you'll encourage others!

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Stop eating and drink beer all together, Or just eat rice like me you will be ok........................hahahaha lmao

4. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Amazing results, really shows in the photos. I'm planning on having results/photos worth posting as well. Glad to see you did that under the direction of a doctor.

Don't worry, I'm getting plenty of rice and a lot less bread. I found I'm averaging a 2185 calorie a day diet since starting the program. Wife says my calorie goal at this point in the program for the diet is 2400. Eating the right foods it isn't that easy to get there. Turkey bacon has the flavor of cardboard and I haven't figured out how to make an egg white omlet taste palletable yet.

5. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    As great as it is to see Joey Dudes great results, its always a bit of a concern when weight loss is that rapid. As Tink mentioned, good to have a doctor monitoring that . Joey is certainly right about one thing, getting yourself more fit is the best mod you can do to your bike heehehehe.

It is great to see a fitness thread on VFRW, and hopefully as the new riding season (for many of us) starts, folks will be motivated to start.

There are lots of ways to get to your goal, you can go the Scuba route and eat fish heads and rice, or go the diet route, or ...my personal choice, diet and exercise.

Many VFRW members are regular denizens of the gym, be it a home gym or whatever, and if you have a good success story, let us know. I know one guy here told me about schooling the young punks at work the other day by dropping and firing off pushups....heeheehehehee.

If you have found a good routine that helps certain aspects of your riding, share it with us.

PS to Joey and Tink.....Joey youve already won, living well is the prize heehehehehe....congrats on starting p90x tink, keep pushing play.....

6. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Awesome thread. Well I started my weight loss program last Oct. I started at 234 lbs and my target is 180 lbs. I am currently at 205lbs. I visit a personal trainer once a week and have been doing so since Oct last. Please count me into your support group. Though I may not be doing P90X.

Reasons for weightloss:
    1) So I can be a better rider. - Already I am seeing improvements in overall strength in legs and back.
    2) Be better in bed :tongue: - Ahhh ... not had much track time to evaluate this.... :biggrin:

7. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome results xeipher............

I'll just not comment on reason #2.........:thumbsup:

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Shit yea xeipher! Great job man. I'd love to hear more about the visits with the personal trainer.

I agree with #2 :thumbsup:

P.S. Definately did not intend the thread to be solely P90X. That's the routine I chose, however, myself (and hopefully others) would love to hear all success stories and commitments.

9. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Well I've noticed that my fork valving could be adjusted for the greater by just a touch, loosing 20lbs would fix that and save me the re-re work.

10. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    My wife and I did P90X last fall. I think it works really well. I was at 258 when we started last Aug an was down to 220 after the first 90 days. The accident kind of sidetracked things I'm down to 200 but lost some muscle. Soon as everything heals I'm back on it. Good Luck to everyone whose starting a new program.

Action

11. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    The best thing about P90x is that one can modify its many workouts to fit your needs. No, I didnt drink the Koolaid on P90x,well maybe a little heeheehe,but the interesting thing about it is that it espouses a real doable series of workouts coupled with a reasonable diet that makes sense. There are of course many other regimens out there that work. Well done on the results that you managed Action, good on ya bro.

P90x is only a recent commercially available routine that lots of people find to their liking, for a variety of reasons. I believe Tinks purpose with this thread was twofold, one, bring out how we can all improve both our riding and general overall quality of life by really seriouslly paying attention to our fitness level, and , two, to give us here a chance to publically state our fitness goals, which will help anyone that responds to stay committed.

While many of us here cannot always comment or help people that ask on tech questions, we can all benefit by helping each other live healthier, more fit lives, not only will it help you ride, it helps you in every way.

What could better?

Its certainly no secret that everyone from MotoGp to Nascar pit crews train their bodies with every thing from weight/power training to yoga....BTW yoga is fricking tough...

12. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I recently started trying to lose weight myself. I let my self get up to 245, not too bad since i'm 6'4" but heavier than I want to be. I have a friend who turned me on to CrossFit. They are specific gyms and specialize in short, ass kicking work outs. I initially gained to 250 after starting the workouts, but am now down to 240 after 2 month. Not a huge loss, buuuuuttt...while the numbers arent coming down, my body is changing. I have noticed more definition, especially in my legs, and pant are fitting more loosely. So i'm guessing my muscle gain is cutting into my weight loss. I'm not too set on a number anyway...its more a body image thing to me.

Once i get my diet under control, i'll drop weight like crazy. Life is too hectic to eat right as often as I need. I may post pics of the results, or the progression of results, anyway.

13. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    About a two years ago I set out to lose some weight as my boss decided he was going to as well. I started at 245lbs which was the heaviest I had ever been and I figured that I would be happy with 200lbs which was slightly less that what I weighed in high school. It took me right around a year and a half but I lost 45 lbs. I simply used portion control and it slowly but surely worked.

I started out with one cheeseburger instead of two, eating more salads, etc. We had a salad bar in the cafeteria at work and that made things nice. Believe me... I still loaded it up with whatever I wanted but it sure did help. After a few months I was able to start skipping the large value meals and go for the regular size and started eating less and less. Now I can't even begin to eat nearly as much as I used to.

The last ten or so pounds were the hardest to lost but I dropped 8 pounds the first month. I do think that the riding helped quite a bit as there were a lot more muscles being used for all that time I simply would just sit on my ass while driving. I now regularly fluctuate between 200-210 and I'm happy with that. I'm sure that if I was determined to hit a certain weight or become more defined that I could do so but I'm happy with where I am.

14. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Outstanding work, Bweiss and Meatloaf. A tall person always has the overall height weight thing goin on Bweiss, and it is very easy for you tall guys to let your fitness level get away from you. While 240 doesnt seem like too much on your frame, that shit can sneak up on you. Good on ya for staying aware....and you are right, early on its not about the numbers, its about how your fitness level and stamina work, as the awareness makes you work on your everyday life, at some point you will make the numbers work for you

Meatloaf, you and I may be somewhat similar in body type, although Im not really sure, I started out at 225 and was completely unhappy to say the least. Now Im around 187-190 on any given day, but moreso than the numbers, since I'm relatively heavily built in the upper body, I've really paid attention lately after the initial weight drop to my core body strenght, that is, the abdominal area from the pecs to the waist. Making gains in this area really makes a difference on the bike, from overall long day many mile rides, to Banzai kickass loops at high speeds.

Well done on your fitness gains bro.

15. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    you guys make me feel guilty.....i was munching on some junk food when i came across this thread....

16. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Dont worry...I had burger king earlier today...

17. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    knowing that makes me feel better! anybody else had a bag of chips today?

18. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    man, I really need to shape up. I'm about 30-35 lbs overweight.

19. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    Turn that fat into muscles brothers.
    As for me, I am a skinny little bitch. I wish I had something to work with.I have the opposite problem. I cant gain wieght no matter how hard I try.
    That doesnt mean I am in shape though, not by a long stretch. When I was young, even thoagh I was skinny, at least I could run, jump, etc.
    Locking my keys in the house a few months back and breaking in through the bathroom window was an eye opener. I am not the ninja that I used to be :)
    I made it inside without injury, but holy crap, it was an ordeal.
    I applaude anyone trying to better themselves. We can have as may bikes as we want, but we only get one body.
    Martial arts was an excellant way to keep myself fit when I was younger ( I am not fighter, it was just good for health and self esteem ).
    I am thinking of enrolling again, now that I have alot more free time then I am used to. I will post here if I make any personal progress.
    ( here comes the Mr. Miagi jokes. Grasshopper, take the suzuki panels. Sand on, sand off )
    -C

20. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Always weigh your self early in the morning after taking a good piss and a crap, never before and never after. That is your true DRY weight!!!! Thats all that counts remember that!!! Say it Dry Weight! Dry Weight!

I am 5'10" and 180lbs is where I am supposed to be at. Additionally, I am Asian (well Indian) which means that my body is not big boned as some of you are. So having a much lower weight is very important. Furthermore I am barely 26 which means I have to be at 180 or closer, else 20 years later I do not want to be in a position where too much sex can give me a heart attack :tongue:

My current training regimen

Workout A
    -------------
    [Treadmill] 10 min warm up walk. - First 5 min 3.0 speed 3.0 incline. Next 5 min 3.6 speed 3.0 incline
    20 lunges with alternating left and right as leading foot, with 12 lb doing bicep curl as I do lunges
    20 squats on the Smith machine each side 7.5lbs
    15 pushups
    15 lap pull downs with 55lb weight
    10 walk outs (Squat -> go into push up position -> pull a knee into chest ->put knee back -> go back to sqaut -> stand up -> repeat next time pull other knee in)
    20 leg raises
    15 crunches

-------- All the above are targeted to be completed in 20 mins -----
    Heart rate this point is jacked

10 min on tread mill with the following pattern
    3.6 speed through and through
    6.0 elevation minute 1
    7.0 elevation minute 2
    8.0 elevation minute 3
    9.0 elevation minute 4
    10 elevation minute 5
    10 elevation minute 6
    9.0 elevation minute 7
    8.0 elevation minute 8
    7.0 elevation minute 9
    6.0 elevation minute 10

Repeat the whole cycle above one more time. Basically the above circuit is done twice

Workout B
    --------------
    [Treadmill] 10 min warm up walk. - First 5 min 3.0 speed 3.0 incline. Next 5 min 3.6 speed 3.0 incline
    10 Full body burpee with 12lb weight (Burpee = 1. Squat 2. Bicep curl 3. Shoulder press 4. Squat 5. Drop to push up stance 6. Push up 7. Repeat all over)
    10 stationary lunges each on right and left foot leading. Plus 8lb weight and twist body to either side so the sides of your abdomen get pulled and exercised.
    20 bench press with 20 lb
    20 rows with 15 lb
    1 min plank
    15 bridge (using big medicine ball legs are elevated and then lower body is raised) Improves lower back muscles
    10 super mans
    1 super man held for 10 seconds

-------- All the above are targeted to be completed in 20 mins -----
    Heart rate this point is jacked

10 min on tread mill with the following pattern
    2 mins 4.0 speed
    2 mins 4.0 speed with 3.0 elevation
    1 min with 4.2 speed 0 elevation
    2 min 4.0 speed
    2 min 4.0 speed with 3.0 elevation
    1 min with 4.2 speed 0 elevation

Repeat the whole cycle above one more time. Basically the above circuit is done twice.