The age-old upgrade or replace conundrum...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by woody77, Jun 9, 2012.

1. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    I really do love my 1986 VFR.

But...

(and there's always a "but...")

26 year old technology is 26 year old tech. And if it wasn't my only bike, it would be different, because then it could be the "vintage" one in the stable.

I've upgraded the forks (Lindemann rebuild) and the 1kg/mm springs really improved the handling. Now I'm talking to Jamie Daugherty about the rear shock. I had been thinking about the CBR front-end swap, but I just finished pricing out a budget. And honestly, I figure it's 1500-200 all said and done (and done right). Front-end, wheels, tires, the machining work (not cheap locally, and shipping is expensive), plus the rebuilt shock and fork internals to go with it. And then I'd still be damper-rod (or gold valve emulators), unless I found a 1994 set of F2 forks or something like the Attack Performance forks I found.

For $1500-2000, plus what I could get for my current bike, I could find a 5th-gen VFR. I'd still need to rebuild it's forks and shock, but I'd be starting from a much, much newer base. And it still has the V4-ness about it.

Further mucking up the decision process:

In about a year, I'll be moving out of the country for a year (to Europe). So it's tempting to do some minor work the '86 and let it be for the rest of this season, and then sell it or put it in storage with everything else next spring. Not riding for a year is going to be rough, though. I get withdrawls after just a couple weeks. I have no idea what I'd do if I still lived in the Midwest...

So why did I bother posting this? To see if anyone else had any better ideas than:

- new rear shock to go with the upgraded forks
    - stainless brake lines
    - ride it as much as I can for the next year
    - store it while in Europe
    - replace it when I come back (or buy a newer bike to go with it)

2. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

My '86 isn't my only bike, and already has the mods; but I've also ridden other 'gens' and if you're going to stay with VFR's, stay with the '86. I have other bikes; but the one that heads out most often is the VFR. With those mods (my Fox TC was rebuilt by Jamie, the forks have Sonics and RaceTech valves) the bike is fantastic. I have one more mod, a peg lowering kit that just arrived. With the GenMars that'll make it as close to perfect as I would ever want.

Do the mods. If you must, get another bike for other interests. :cool:

3. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    So yours just has the upgraded shock and forks? what tires do you run? (I'm running pirelli sport demons)

4. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Well, I am probably the wrong person to comment, but then maybe not, because I am a collector by nature.
    This said, I would say that You have to determine where you stand in regards to your '86, & whether or not you can afford to have 2 bikes, (Both tyme & finance).
    As for going to Europe for a year, You can rent or lease a bike while there, so you can get your fix! :tongue2: & as for storing you bike, That is relatively simple, so truethfully not an issue.

5. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    At the moment, the budget won't allow for two bikes (and Europe is part of why, the budget opens up considerably after we get back). Which is why I'm also considering just doing the minimal upgrades on the suspension and brakes now, and leaving it that way until after we get back.

European bike rental is appealing, but expensive (quick searches turn up ~$150/day including taxes and insurance, with $1000-4000 in damage deposits).

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'd sell it, get a 5th gen and tool around on it without doing the upgrades. Do the trip thing, get back on the bike and decide what upgrades you want and upgrade it...or keep an eye out on ebay for great finds to upgrade the 5th gen while the bike is stored (prepped properly for storage of course). If you only get one bike, that is.

7. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

I have CBR wheels, fork and shock, Yosh full system and K&N filter. Tires are Pirelli Diablo's. :cool:

8. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    That's a nice set of upgrades. But I can pick up a used 80K mile 5th gen VFR for the cost of doing those mods (based on prices I'm seeing on CL right now)...

9. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    And that's where I'm torn. 5th gen now, or do a few upgrades on the '86, ride the 86 for the next year, and then figure out if I want to sell the 86 or not after I get back. Especially since I'm seeing 5th gen VFRs for under $3K (and one locally for $2K that needs a new seat).

10. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    I got my 5th gen for $2000 flat, totally stock with only 20k on it... and thinking about it, if I had room, I would try to add another horse in the stable instead of straight upgrading... and if forced to decide, decide LATER after enjoying both.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah but you stole that one. around here they still go over 3000...

12. Onomea

Onomea New Member

For me personally, I am very fortunate(to me) to have two bikes. My other bike is slightly more modern and has more power. But you know what, when I first jumped on the VFR with its classic/older ride and feel I pretty much was hooked. I now ride it more for just the nostagic feel and looks(I feel its cool). ( I just ride it more period).

I would keep the bike and ride it as such. Store it properly and when you get back you would have had more opportunity and time to decide while you are in Europe. The newer generations are fine but it might be harder to find a "classic" later on. Maybe consider at that time to have two bikes. Its all really up to what you want from a bike(s). Either way you will be Riding! To me its not what you ride, but that you ride(sorry, mopeds excluded):)

Just my 2 cts.

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I wana have a bike in Europe/ ie-Germany...got friends there..could pay the reg tax er wut eva day say der...