testing voltage regulator

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by President.Douche, Nov 3, 2010.

1. President.Douche

President.Douche New Member

i have a 84 vf700,

the first problem i had my my red plug cdi box going out,

so i asked if the white plug cdi would fire the plugs so i could check fi that was the problem,

someone told me it would work and they had used it to check their own,

well the white plug cdi worked until i plugged it into the red cdi harness and now its fried also,

upon telling people that someone suggested he had similar trouble and his mechanic told him that hos voltage regulator and red cdi were bad and thus suggesting maybe my voltage regulator is bad,

so i have 2 questions, how can i check to see if the volt reg is bad (keep in mind the bike will not run atm),

and also is there any reason it doing bad would only fry cdi boxes when they are plugged into the red plug and now into the white plug

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    If the bike can't run at all for testing that makes the test for the RR really hard.

In short, you can ohm test an RR that is fried and it will read within the correct ohm resistances. However, since that is your only option, what I recommend is breaking out your trusty manuel and doing the tests you can do and check your numbers. You may get lucky and be able to tell if the RR is fried that way.

Post up what you get and we'll try and help you get through it.

BZ