Test riding tomorrow!!!

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Porkchop, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

So I love my little Monster to death, that air cooled 2 valve motor is just fantastic. Unfortunately... at 6'1 and pretty chunky, the peg to seat height is a little crunched for my longer legs. On longer rides my feet start to get hot spots in about 15 minutes, my knees start to get a little painful at about 25 minutes, and after 35 or so, my hips start to feel the pressure. I've thought about the taller DP touring seat and some peg lowering, but then at that point i'm being put up farther into the wind and possibly starting to scrape pegs. So basically I'm looking for alternative bikes with a bit more leg room and maybe a little bit of fairing.

I have about a 4 bike list, ranging lots of different price points and positions. One is the VFR1200 and I sat on one last week, very heavy coming from my featherweight Monster, and the pegs were almost as tight as the Monster. There was also the fact that the dealer was being dicks about a test ride, so I basically told them they lost a sale and not to call me back. So I'm not sure the 1200 is for me.

On the more adv touring side I'm looking at the Multistrada 1200 and Tiger 1050, but those are for another time. On to the point of this thread. The Gen 5 800 has been on my short list for ages. I found a 1998 VFR800 at a dealer local to me. Looks in good condition, with the side bags already on. Dealer just emailed me and confirmed a 10am test ride tomorrow morning. They are definitely asking a little steep at this point at $4k, but I should be able to talk them down. If not, I can at least see if it's the bike for me and that "fits" me. We'll see tomorrow!!! :rockon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Nice! Good luck on your test ride.

3. blainerides

blainerides New Member

Love that bike. You're going to LOVE the engine, esp coming from a two-valve Duc. My first street bike was an '01 Monster 750 and the next one in line (#2 of 10 bikes) was exactly what you're test riding today - a 1998 VFR800 (no luggage, though). If it speaks to you, it's an affair you'll never want to end (unless your buddy totals it in a parking lot with an accidental wheelie and breaks 7 bones in his wrist). Let us know how you like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Well, that was a month ago; did you get it?

5. troyster

troyster New Member

I just got a 1998 for $3500 so the price is not bad
    Especially after all the maintenance I had to do to her
    But it was all money well spent rides like a brand new machine now

6. ember1205

ember1205 New Member

United States
    Map
    Unless the dealer installed new tires, new brakes, and rebuilt the forks (in addition to the standard oil change sort of things), I would say that bike can be had for at LEAST $1000 less. I bought my 2000 for under $3k with 40k on it and there's another 2000 "nearby" with 25k on it - asking $3500. They're out there if you look.

7. Syclone538

Syclone538 New Member

Did you ride this bike? I actually went and looked at it about the time you posted this thread, but couldn't yet afford it, and knew the price was high. Now I can afford it, they still have it and it's listed at $3700.

8. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

Honestly, I'm not sure if I loved the motor quite as much as the monster. It felt kind of... gutless and empty. I mean yeah when she revved up she kind of boogied, but it was an odd feeling not having that tractor torque.

No, I wanted to trade in the Monster and they were lowballing the hell out of me. I had to personal sale it, and the Duc just sold last Sunday. :blue:

I think the tires were newer. I'm not sure if the bike had the brakes done, I think I remember him talking about the fork seals...

I rode it that next day as well as a Fz1 and Connie 14. The guy I worked with was really cool. That tall touring screen would need to go immediately, it forced the dirty air right on my helmet and literally made that VFR louder than my naked bike. It was terrible. The stock pipe would need to go as well. I would need to hear that V4 goodness. I could hear the engine a bit, but nothing from the exhaust. I noticed a considerable amount of weight on my wrists too, which is really surprising because I never felt that on the Monster.

9. Syclone538

Syclone538 New Member

I was there on a Friday, early afternoon. Probably the 25th, the day you started this thread. The bike was not in the used bike building, it was outside under the awning, where the mechanics either were getting ready to look at it, or just did. He started it, I sat on it and goosed it a little. I didn't ask if I could test ride it. I asked if there was any room to deal on it and he pretty much just said no. If that was the 25th, now I know why he wouldn't budge on it.

I talked to Brent. Nice enough sales guy. Put down some numbers on the back of his card for me.

139 doc
    299.71 tax
    15 title
    18.50 temp tag

4467.21 out the door

I was thinking about offering $3500 otd.

Seems to be the going price around here.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4481562780.html
    http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4493075075.html

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Waaaaaay to much......keep looking....there out there if your not in a rush...or if ya have enough fun tickets to blow.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

11. RoninUnderground

RoninUnderground New Member

United States
    Map
    I feel a lot of weight on my wrists, too. That might be reduced if you get a lower windscreen. I have a really tall double bubble so I can tuck when I want, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try a stock windscreen. I'm 180lbs 6'1" so probably similar to your build. My ankles cramp a little, but my hands are the bigger issue. I need to reinstall my handlebar weights, it might reduce the vibration a lot. Oh and mine is a 2001, had about 42000 miles when I bought it, and a salvage title. Bought for $1300, salvage title seemed to be a result of rather inconsequential cosmetic damage, runs great.

12. 01vfrvince

01vfrvince New Member

I bought a 2001 in Ohio from a dealer. It had 7K miles, paid 3500 out the door. It was mint not a scratch on it with new tires installed.

13. ember1205

ember1205 New Member

United States
    Map
    I would say you got a pretty decent deal, assuming that it had the tool kit and everything else was "present" and stock.

14. Syclone538

Syclone538 New Member

I bought the bike in the op. Got out the door for $3650.

15. RoninUnderground

RoninUnderground New Member

United States
    Map
    Please let us know how you like that windscreen.

16. Syclone538

Syclone538 New Member

This is the first bike I've owned, and I haven't been on any bike for probably 2 years... but so far, I don't like it at all.