Tennessee and North Carolina

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Gator, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Took my girlfriend up for some riding and hiking. Beautiful weather, cool and clear upper 30's to 60. Did Deals Gap, Foothills Parkway, 390, 72, Cherohala Skyway and some Blueridge parkway. The Cherohala is my favorite with wonder sweepers and views. The Blueridge has some better views but the road is not as nice.

IMG_0041.jpg IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0138.jpg IMG_9928.jpg IMG_9950.jpg

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I followed 2 different pair of Harley's, 1 on the Dragon and another on 390. I was impressed with their riding skills, they were not dragging hard parts but I did not have to pass them as they moved along very well.

3. OnTap

OnTap New Member

United States
    You got lucky if you were behind Harleys on The Dragon that kept a descent pace. I've been stuck behind Harley's on The Dragon and the Cherohala that were going ridiculously slow. Probably actually making the riding more difficult for themselves because they were going so slow. I politely hovered behind them for a while to see if they'd wave me past, but ended up pulling off at overlooks to give them some time to get down the road.

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I have no desire to ever ride "the dragon" again. The road simply isn't worth the risk with all the lane crossing shenanigans that goes on there, not too mention the speed limit and cops. It's simply just a mountain road, far from the advertised "best sports bike road in the USA". I'd rather stick to the southwest corner of VA.

VA-16, Hayters Gap rd, US route 58 between Damascus and Volney, in TN Route 421 through Shady Valley. etc

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yep Deals gap is not that great of a road but I take the Foothills Parkway to Deals then to the Cheraholla skyway. Grab a burger at the gap and then get the F out of there.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Most of the Hardly riders are slow but I occasionally run across some fast ones.

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Da Gap does have its useful purpose though. It acts like a gigantic Bug Zapper for the entire eastern seaboard. Keeps the rest of the Appalachian roads relatively clear.

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    The Gap has it's place if one wants some exhilaration. I ONLY get on it very early in the day or late in the day when others don't seem to be on it. People tend ride it beyond their skill level which is beyond my comprehension since it's a choice. I've seen two dead people on The Gap. As far as Hardlys on it, I just pass them quickly. A good trick I learned is to just make the first pass down pretty slowly to get the feel of it and scout out the road itself then rip it on the way back to the store. This is a unique road that calls for unique carefulness. I prefer Hwy. 28 to The Gap any day.

9. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW, the Foothills Pkwy. is under the jurisdiction of the Smoky Mtn. Natl. Park. There used to be a park ranger that patrolled that road that harassed and wrote tickets as fast as he could pull over people whether he was right or wrong. He lost his job because I took him to court and a gaggle of lawyers backed me up at their expense because they got tired of him stirring up shit. I avoid that place after that experience. The Cherohala is not the best place to break traffic laws and given the speed limits on it, it's hard not to exceed the limits. There are many minor but fun roads to "let it all out" on in the area.

10. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Old post, but ... been meaning to get over to Helen, GA and ride the N. GA roads for a long time ... may even get there some day :biggrin: ...

ACE

11. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    If you get a chance and haven't ridden it, the Richard B Russell Pkwy is nice! It's close to Helen.