Target AFRs advice for 2004 VFR800 with Delkevic full system

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by david buxteen, May 22, 2022.

1. david buxteen

david buxteen New Member

United States
    Hi everyone, I am new to VFR World.

I have the 2004 VFR 800 Interceptor and hope someone can provide guidance on target AFRs or ideally point me to a decent fuel map I can start with then customize/optimize with PC 5/Auto Tune.. and a 14 miles daily commute

All parts of my 2004 VFR800 are stock except: - the Delkevic full system(installed 2 years ago); - pair/snorkel mods; - PC 5 and Auto Tune

Current fuel map got it to run way too rich(and for info only juice I can get on a regular basis is the 93).
    I lack the knowledge but willing to learn plus I have auto tune, so rather prefer exhaust all possibilities before resorting to take my bike to a dyno station.
    I will greatly appreciate to hear from anyone who got any luck self-tuning AFRs on a 6th gen with cat-less headers.

Thanks for reading !

Notes:
    - Attached a pic of my Delkevic set up, hoping it'll help those exploring full systems (I will take and post a different view/angle if that can be useful to anyone)
    - Exhaust full specs here: -- https://delkevic.com/full-system-to...ound-muffler-and-stainless-steel-4-1-headers/ --

Attached Files:

2. david buxteen

david buxteen New Member

United States
    Update: Hope I hear from someone, in the meantime I will start this Monday to cut by 0.1 all target AFR levels, I will rigorously track the impact on cooling, mpg, and basic performance all day and will apply autotune adjustments at end of day. I will repeat the process every day whole week.
    Then on following Monday I’ll reduce again by 0.1 AFR targets for some or all rpm ranges depending results of the past week, and repeat the whole daily process.
    Thanks

ProtechRacing likes this.
  3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    you'll not be able to distinguish cooling effects from weather changes.

4. VFRJohnL6

VFRJohnL6 New Member

United Kingdom
    i have a 2003 bike & i've got a full stainless delkevic system on my bike and haven't had anything done to the bike regarding fuelling.
    it's had the flapper and snorkel mod done,PAIRS system taken off.
    It's had new plugs & a K&N filter fitted, balanced the throttle bodies, took the injectors out & cleaned them.
    i'm getting around 36-38mpg,riding two up, with a set of panniers and top box & I'm bimbling around, usual cruising speed is 80+mph, just on edge the VTEC kicking in, but when overtakes are needed i'm going down two gears and winding it on.

5. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    Can O Worms That. I'm constantly changing my targets and trims to acomodate weather changes. PITA really but I'm getting some kick butt performance. Only finicky is off idle to 1700, very temp sensitive.

6. ProtechRacing

ProtechRacing New Member

United States
    Look up max tq RPM specs and shoot for 12.6 at max TQ. Under and over that , at WOT target 12.8 or so.
    Cruise at 50% rpm and throttle can range from 13.7 to well into mid 14s. Keep in mind that you need a good wide band with zero air leaks up stream of the sensor .
    I'm not familiar with your ECU tuning system . But you note auto tune . Somewhere in the map choices should be a air density correction option.
    Choose "correct at initial map reading " If you have that option.

The Microsquirt uses a GM map sensor for altitude.density correction.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022