swingarm question

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by 2000ex, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 2000ex

2000ex New Member

I have a vf500f as most know from previous posts. I was curious on if there is someone or somehow to get an extended swingarm for my bike..... might be a stupid question but just curious. Thanx in advance.

2. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

I guess my first question would be why. I have seen where some guys have cut their swingarms,and did a very nice job of boxing in a section.I am not sure if your bike has a single sided swingarm,but if it does it could make the job even more tricky. eddie

3. 2000ex

2000ex New Member

no mines is not a single sided swingarm. and as for why.... really no reason. just curious. i have seen a lot of old vintage dragsters in my area that run at the track and they have thier bikes stretched and i kinda liked the way the looked.

4. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Ok, Anyway drag bikes are usually stretched out to gain high speed stability, the longer the wheelbase,within reason,the more stability you will have.
    On the other side of the coin,long bikes dont handle near as well as a bike with a shorter wheelbase. Hope that gives you some insight into your question. eddie

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    2000:

I recommend purchasing bike that already has the "stretched" look, or purchase a bike that was really meant for that kind of alteration, or has plenty of aftermarket parts to do so.

See older Kawasaki KZ1000's, Gixxers, Busa's, etc.

BZ

6. 2000ex

2000ex New Member

good point because most of the bikes that i see or are vintage like the kawasakis or old suzukis are the ones that are stretched and extremely modified. i just didnt understand but i have been doing research on the subject and i agree some bikes are good for this alteration and some just arent. and not only that i kinda like my miniceptor. shes in great shape and i guess thats becoming rare so i think i am just gonna keep her and make her last for many more years to come!!!

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    there's a good reason why some bikes are rare, and some deserve to be.
    your bike does not have suffcient POWER to cause the front wheel to lift, therefore requiring longer swing arm.......
    spend your money on a newer, more modern bike, not adding bling to the antique that you're stuck with.

the newest bike you can get is usually the best bike by far and won't need any real modifications......

8. 2000ex

2000ex New Member

ur a wise man mr. squirrelman!