suspension sag

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by motoman426, Sep 12, 2012.

1. motoman426

motoman426 New Member

I tried to set my sag tonight but can't get it stiff enough....I feel like a fatty :) I"m 200lbs and have the rear and front preload all the way compressed and my sag both front and rear is sitting about 38mm. I read a sticky on here saying that I want them both at 32mm. My ride is a 2005 VFR800 ABS and these measurements were taken with my touring kit off and in shorts and a Tshirt....so needless to say when I'm in gear and my touring kit on & loaded....I'll be WAY out of spec.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there an easy way to get more adjustment? I know on my MX bike it means I send my suspension off to Royce at Devol in Oregon and $$$ later....walah :) I was kind of hoping for something different on this ride :)

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Even though I am not in your weight category, I do carry different weight loads, from hauling gear, hauling a passenger or solo in my leathers, I found that the stock suspension was not covering the gamut of differnt weight loads that I run.

I ended up buying a used VFR ABS shock for $40 because I knew it would fit and it has the remote preload adjuster making it easier to adjust pre-load when I need to adjust accordingly. I then sent it to Jamie Daugherty (Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification) to have it resprung and revalved for my average weight range and for how I use the bike. He set me up with a new spring and valving front and rear for less than the cost of an aftermarket rear shock alone. He did the work on the shock and I will b e doing the forks.

3. motoman426

motoman426 New Member

Ya, I was hoping I'd have enough adjustment to sag it for stripped down riding and then add pre-load for when I put on my touring kit all loaded....but evidently I'm too fat to even get it to sag out without my touring kit on :) I didn't know if my suspension needed serviced and that would help or if it's needing resprung. Sounds like I'm looking more at having to re

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

From what I gather from reading and from experience, the VFR is a bit under sprung, so that I'm sure contributes to your issue. Give Jamie a call and see what he can do for you. He is a member on VFRW and has helped many members with their suspension woes. The worst that can happen is you spend a little money getting a better ride.

Cheers!

5. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I need the same, 240lbs, but did crank the rear preload 2 clicks stiffer. The front feels a little soft, may try adjusting that too. Lets us know how your sag adjustments come out, eh.

6. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    It's not surprising that you can't get the correct sag, the stock spring is very low rate. I suggest just cranking it up as far as you can and manage like that until you can get things properly setup for your weight. The correct weight spring and good valving make a world of difference!

7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    DMr set me up very nicely. I am really digging how my '98 handles now. Thanks Jamie!

8. Lionel Cosgrove

Lionel Cosgrove New Member

i'm 230 lbs, the stock springs were way too soft. i got way heavier springs on the front and rear via racetech and the suspension feels awesome now.