Supercross in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by NorcalBoy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Last night I took the opportunity to go see the Supercross at AT&T Park in the "City By the Bay" with my brother in law. We had a blast. After 4 days of torrential rain in the Bay Area the racing gods shined down and it stopped raining the night before the race. The DirtWorx crew pumped 18" of water off the plastic covering the track the morning of the race! The track wasn't perfect, but it was way better than I thought it was going to be.

The rain did return halfway through the Lites class final and it was a good steady downpour throughout the Supercross class final. The podium attendess in the Lites final were J-Law (Jason Lawrence), Tommy Hahn, and Brett Matcalfe of Australia, 1-3 respectively. The Lites West series points leader going into the event, Ryan Dungey, had a disappointing night to finish in the 7th position. I believe Ryan still held onto the points lead though......

In the Supercross class the podium consisted of Chad Reed (Thunder From Down Under), K-Dub (Kevin Windham) and Davey Millsaps, 1-3 respectively. The Honda's of Windham, Millsaps and Tedesco were running 1,2,3 for the opening part of the race - it's been a long, long time since that has happened. K-Dub could make a fool out of me if he keeps riding like he has been............Vinny, you out there somewhere? :redface:

I took some photos with my mini cam, alot of them were zoomed in all the way and at night that combination isn't the cameras strong point, but I'll post them anyway. The resizing doesn't seem to help the clarity much either, LOL! Drink a few beers before you check 'em out and that should bring them into focus, :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Nice pics Norcal. Looks like a great time. Glad the rain let up for a bit. The San Diego race is happening in a couple weeks now. I might have to stop in.

I tell ya, I still am not use to the "lite" and "ope" (or supercross) class names. I grew up with (as did you) with 125, 250, and 500. Nothing like seeing ole Bailey and RJ battling it out on the big ole 500's! Sure do miss the smell of klotz in the morning!

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Oh, btw, did "Bubba" crash, injured, or just didn't make the podium?

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

James Stewart is out for the entire Supercross season due to re-injuring his knee prior to the start of Anaheim 2. I believe he had surgery last week.... He's trying to make it back by the start of the Hangtown National.

I'm bummed out a little because I will be at the WSBK race at MMP the weekend that the 40th running of the Hangtown National will take place. The old Hangtown National in Plymouth, CA was quite the experience. The new race isn't quite as special now that it's in Sacto, though......

5. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Watching Speed tonight... Number 7 is done until May when he hopes to return for the actual motocross season. (that's outdoor for you stadium-cross folks :wink:)

Seems slow and steady was the way to go in the rain.

Mike Alessi (800) has faded back since leaving KTM for Suzuki it seems. I thought he'd do better.

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Hey Noz, Mike Alessi actually rode in the Lites class last year......This will be Mike's first full season in the Supercross class. Mike has actually done a pretty good job - he is sitting 4th overall in points following the San Francisco round, not only that, but he's led some laps and holeshotted the last three Supercross mains, If I'm not mistaken. The 6th picture down from the top is a shot of Mike leading K-Dub at the start of his heat race.

That kid has some huge shoes to fill with the departure of the GOAT and I think he's done a pretty damn good job so far. He came up one position shy of making the box last weekend in Anaheim, not to shabby for a Supercross class rookie. Don't lose faith in the kid, Noz, he will repay your loyalty!

OFF TOPIC Hey Noz you had a chance to look over the grip wiring I asked you about? BACK TO TOPIC

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I was disappointed that Windham couldn't hang on to win the main. Also, Alessi is going to be a major force once the outdoor season starts. He is an awesome outdoor rider where Reed is not. Reed did not run the outdoor series last year, so it will be interesting to see what he does this year. If Reed had raced, he more than likely would have been the outdoor champion with Stewart getting hurt and Carmichael only running half of the season. I frequent the Unadilla National every year as well as the now retired Broome Tioga National.

8. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    ChadReed ran at Budds Creek to get a look at the place prior to Motocross of Nations. Stewart and GOAT ate him up. He did fine though... top international rider at the AMA race.

9. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

Cool pix, NCB. It looks exactly like it did when I was there last year! I got some good shots; James Stewart was definitely on a hot streak at the time.

BTW, I will be at MMP the WSBK weekend; hopefully with photo credentials. If Apex Trackdays is having another track day there then I will be riding the 600RR as well on the Monday after the race. Are you riding out or flying out there?

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The pictures are OK, I guess, I could have taken a little more time with them and shot them with manual settings, but I'm not really up to speed on that stuff yet. I've been too lazy to read the manual that came with the camera. It does a very good job during the day though. It doesn't help the resolution when you resize them either :rolleyes: I would have put more effort into it except I was too busy drinking a few Anchor Steams.........

Apex is having another track day at MMP on Monday, the 2nd of June, following the race weekend. The cost is $250.00, I think........

No riding, don't have the time for that. I am flying out of Oakland, on Southwest, on the 29th of May (Thursday) at 7:50 PM. I'm staying at the SLC Airport Hilton. I'll definately be going into downtown SLC to the Party Mall Friday and Saturday nights. A few beers after a nice hot day at the track never hurts.....