Stuck Motor ??

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by amkazen, Dec 11, 2010.

1. amkazen

amkazen New Member

Hi,
    In July 2009 I bought a Blue 87 VFR 700 as a parts bike for my white VFR700. However, when I got it home I decided it was too nice to part out and decided to get it running. Well, here it is Dec 2010 and I have done nothing to the "parts bike" so I put it up for sale, hoping somebody else would like a nice project. Well, a guy came out today, decided he wanted it, and then we decided to try turning the engine by hand since it did not run. I had been told it did. Well, I am glad we checked 1st because we could nto get the motor to turn. We 1st put the bik up on it's centerstand, put it in 6th gear, and tried turnign the rear wheel. Nothing. The wheel would not turn. So, we popped off the left side cover and tried turning it with a 17mm socket on a ratchet and then also with a breaker bar. Nothing. So, he deicded the bike was not for him and left. I am glad for that as I would have hated to sell the bike and then find out later it had a stuck motor. So, I come on this forum after remembering about it and perusing the posts found out there is a cover plate on the right side. I go back down, unscrew the cover, and still cannot turn the engine with the breaker bar. It is in neutral. So, with more perusing of these posts I find out that Kerosene & oil, or Marvel Mystery Oil, poured into the cylinders might help unstick the motor, and possibly light tapping on the crankshaft bolt, and rocking the bike back & forth while in gear might help. I am hoping it will unstick as I know about the bullet-proof rep of these motors, and this one only has about 14k miles on it.. But, if it does not unstick I will go back to my original plan of getting parts off of it for my bike and sell the rest. It would be too bad as it is nice..the only thing missing is the fairing bolts. I checked on-line with Honda and those bolts are pricey..about $250 for all the ones I need.

Anyway, I just wanted to post, say hi, and say thanks for tips about unsticking the motor. I will let you know in a few days if I get it unstuck.

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck and welcome.

3. Dragone19

Dragone19 New Member

The rings may be toast now if you used a breaker bar on the engine to turn it over. I like the marvel mystery oil first, but I prefer flooding the engine top and lower half with diesel for soaking for about a week. good luck

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The clutch covers do not interchange from 86 to 87 and is a very common problem that will cause this as well as the starter gear spacer falling oot when the clutch cover is removed. Pull the clutch cover and try to turn the crank from that side with the starter gear removed. If it still will not turn it sounds like you have screwed the pooch. A dalmation in case you were curious of the type of dog. Good luck.

5. amkazen

amkazen New Member

The breaker bar did not budge anything so I do not think anything happened to it with it.

How do you flood the lower half with diesel? I can see how you do the top: remove the plugs and pour the Marvel Mystery Oil, or Kerosene, or diesel in the top of the plugs (but how much?). But, the bottom half? Hmm...It has been many years since I worked on a vehicle and that was cars & trucks, never a bike, and never to this extent anyway.

The black, outer clutch cover (left side of the bike) was removed but all we lost was the gasket. Is that what you are referring to? There was a big silver cover/(?) inside the black outer cover that I did not remove. There was a 17mm bolt on that silver cover that I tried to turn unsuccessfully.

6. amkazen

amkazen New Member

Interesting..maybe...I just added 4 oz of MMO to each cylinder. #1 cylinder would not let the MMO down..it filled up inside the "bootwell" and slowly drained into the cylinder. All the other cylinders the MMO went right in without any issues. That was interesting fact #1. Interesting fact #2 was after the MMO drained into #1 cylinder, which was the 2nd one I filled up, as I started on that side of the motor, I noticed the MMO was dripping /leaking out the bottom of the clutch cover, because I had pulled it off earlier today, ruining the gasket. But, maybe that is not interesting as the oil is also used by the clutch so maybe there is an oil passage between #1 cylinder & the clutch area. Interesting fact #3 is that the top of the radiator was bone dry but when I took the radiator off to get access to the front two plugs nice pretty green antifreeze drained out. Alos interesting is it appeared #1 cylinder plug and also the other plug on the front, same side, appeared to be rusty. Very odd... It does not sound good to me.

7. Dragone19

Dragone19 New Member

Good to know, thanks TC

amkazen: Interesting stuff. .:pop2:

8. naphza

naphza New Member

The motor may be hydro locked with fuel. Remove the spark plugs and then try to turn it over. If it is hydro locked, fuel will come spewing out the spark plug holes. It's worth a shot. Good luck.