Stock suspension setup on 6th gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Got_Wings?, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Got_Wings?

Got_Wings? New Member

So I took my 6th gen (w/ABS and adjustable knob for rear shock) down to a local shop with a Race Tech certified tech. They had a suspension set up special going on, figured I'd get my sag and options set up right. 95% of bikes there were sportbikes, I was pretty much the exception :)

I realize the stock shocks are relatively soft. Turns out I had the rear dialed in perfectly for my weight, but the front was still set pretty soft from the previous owner. He ended up pretty much maxing out the front forks to match my weight (5'11", 195 lbs).

Took it out for some spirited twisty riding today and on the freeway there, I noticed that the front now 'bounces' quite a bit. Is this normal given the max preload setting? It obviously translates up through the bars, to my hands shoulders and finally head. This is anywhere from 30-90mph.

PS. I often ride with my wife as passenger, but I still noticed this same effect with her on it yesterday. Today I was solo.

Just wanted to check in and see if this is normal and perhaps, I should back it front forks down a bit, even if that's not the optimal 'sag' setting. ??

PSS Today was the first time I really rode the bike hard, keeping it between 6-10k rpms..man this thing is fun!

Thanks in advance!
    Jason

2. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    Unfortunately since there is no rebound adjustment to control the extra preload, you will probably notice quicker rebound, & more bouncing. I currently have mine almost maxed.This is one area where I wish Honda would have spent a little more $; Completely adjustable USD forks would have made the VFR stellar.

3. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    There is a suspension Guru here. Hopefully he will be along shortly to answer your question.

...if not, all I can tell you is that you can only achieve so much with pre load. What you seek, my friend, is heavier fork springs. Good luck.

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Somewhat related but you would get better handling if you pull the forks up 10 mm. On my bike I maxed out the rear and front and it's not quite like a sportbike but really, the best way to improve your suspension is to get them upgraded. Traxxion dynamics and racetech has products that will improve your suspension quite a bit!

5. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    yeah... what he said.

6. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree pulling the tubes up 10mm is one of the best improvements you can make, for free no less. This small adjustment transformed the handling of my bike. The only drawback is it will slightly increase the weight on the front springs.

7. Mac

Mac New Member

Sport Bike Motorcycle Suspension Settings - Sportbike Review - Sport Rider

This is a good starting point to work from. If your front end is bouncing, it is set too hard.
    Remember, your riding on the street, not a smooth race track. What works best, is not always the same for everyone.
    I have a buddy that runs his front end, for lack of a better term " spongie", says it helps him feel the tire more. Feels like it wants to lift the rear when you break hard to me, but.....

Mac

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Having spent a significant amount of time (and $$$) modifying and tuning the suspension on my SV650, I can only say this; adjust the preload until it feels good to you, regardless of whether or not it is "correct". All suspension adjustments are a compromise. The important thing is that you like the way it feels for your style of riding.

I went through three sets of fork springs until I found what I liked, and currently the sag is about 37-38mm. Recommended is between 32 - 35mm, but I don't like the way the front end feels with that much preload. My point is that everybody likes what they like, so back off the preload until you like it more.

Also, it is important to let the suspension warm up before you change settings. 20 minutes of bumpy roads will loosen things up a bit.

9. grinder

grinder New Member

I am about your size and weight and in the end gave up and replaced the front springs with a heavier weight spring. The verdict is still out but based on what I can feel so far it seems a lot more planted that with the original progressive springs. Relatively cheap at $150 plus install. You can also adjust the damping by playing with the fork oil but you really need someone who knows what they are doing as it is easy to screw up. I would love to replace the rear as well but at over $1000 it is a bit steep for me. My rear spring preload is maxed out and still a little soft. I get a bit of a wiggle with dips in high speed sweepers.

10. Got_Wings?

Got_Wings? New Member

Great feedback guys just what I was looking for. I will be reducing the front preload most definitely. Now I feel like I wasted $30 (usually the setup is 75), but hey, live and learn. Thanks!