Staintune or Laser -- 2003 VFR?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by woodcycl, Jun 7, 2003.

1. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Okay, I've read just about every post I could find on exhaust for 2002 - 2003 VFRs and it appears that the Laser and the Staintune two of the most recommended.

Comparing the two, what are the Pros and Cons of each? Which provides more performance gains? Which one sounds better? Both appear to be approx. the same cost (rouighly $725 on sale)

I have a new 2003 VFR - completely stock. I personally think the stock pipes sound "ok" when in the upper RPMs. But, if I can gain some quickness and have a better sound -- might be worth it.

Thanks much.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I just bought a set of Micron Carbon Cans for my 2004
    Viffer.
    The view from the rear now looks totally sexy.
    But the note has to be heard to be apprciated.
    It has a low growl at idle and emits an awesome roar when ridden in anger.
    I looked at Staintunes myself .but am glad that I opted for the Microns. Better finish and note.
    Have heard a viffer with Stainies and the Microns leave it for dead.
    Happy riding
    Rammstein
    Australia

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I havent heard staintunes on the VFR but they are usually pretty sweet. I have em on my Ducati.
    I have Laser pipes on my VFR 03 and they sound great and breath slightly better at high rpm, but for real performance gain you need to free up the inlet flow and get rid of the catalytic converter. If this is done the engine mamagement computer will need to be replaced with an aftermarket one as the factory one has a fixed program. So the only real advantages are a sweet noise throughout the whole rev range and hot looking 4 pipe rear end . I even lowered the idle rpm to 900 as it sounds really nice and lumpy

4. jridge56

jridge56 New Member

I have the Laser system on my '05 VFR and I get lots of attention. Sounds great too, not too loud even without the baffles installed!

5. lootyman

lootyman New Member

1) don't buy pipes for performance. they do nothing when installed alone.
    2) buy pipes for the awesome sounds they emit.
    3) buy the best ones you can afford.
    4) the best ones for my 03 VFR were microns.
    5) buy them from these guys. their website still (incorrectly) lists the ti cans for $744.95.
    6) take advantage of these guy's f up.

6. Lansonfloyd

Lansonfloyd New Member

I was going between each and every brand myself, specifically Staintune, Laser, Remus, Micron, Two bros, and Leo Vince.

I ended up going to www.Sporttour.com for the Remus Titanium after talking with the guys at sporttour over the phone. They noted that both the Staintune and the Remus are great on the bike, but the Remus is a bit cheaper, and built out of titanium (or CARBON, same price!) and the build quality is awesome, sounds great, etc.

I found a few exhaust clips of the Laser setup from a guy in the Netherlands, and I d/l'd the clips. Quite good! But the whole 4 tip thing, and the issue of constant alignment battles swayed me away from Laser. Also REPACK will be an issue later.

Obviously Staintunes are great, but I wasn't really all about the polished look, and I didn't want to wait forever for them to become available for VFR's again (after a huge debacle of a group buy from VFR forums!), so I pretty much led myself to the Remus.

I d/l'd a ton of sound and video clips on the Remus, and they sold me quickly, as well as the positive reviews in both power gain (proof is in the reviews by www.onewheeldrive.net) the sound, as well as the exceptional build quality. Turns out that Remus exhausts are made in the same country as my favorite Gun, the Glock; that would be Austria!

If you want an opinion, I'd go with the remus without hesitation. hop over to www.onewheeldrive.net , and dig up the remus review. There you can download this cute little movie, and read a little about the exhaust. *Edit* Found it for you! THIS ONE the OWD people did, and the exhaust can be heard.

As soon as my bike is repaired and back in my hands, I'll post clips of sound and video of the Remus. This may take a while, since my bike is trashed, lol! About Sept 4-6th I'll get it back, I reckon.

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Staintunes for lovelly raspy sound

On a VTec my personal preference is Staintunes for lovelly and unique raspy sound, to my ear they lend a small block note quality to the VFR especially as they burn in after a few months.

Add the Staintunes high quality stainless finish to and never needing repacking would also be of huge benifet in that once installed all you need to do is polish them now and again...

I have a Carbon Arrow on my Klingon as got it at half price closeout deal and think it sounds great in the lower revs but still prefer the note of Staintunes so may swap over later...

Mind I also like the Laser's for their interesting looks and in reality all loud cans sound good on a V4 so you can't go wrong...