Stainless Steel brake lines?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by azsmp, Mar 21, 2008.

1. azsmp

azsmp New Member

Map
    Anyone made this modification yet? Did it make a noticeable difference? How about cost and reccomended brand. Thx everyone, this is a great site!

2. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    Last winter I pit on Galfer S/S lines, and wave rotors, and pads. One of the best bang for the buck mods you can do is S/S brake lines. Improves feel a little, as the lines won't swell under pressure like the OEM rubber lines will.

3. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    My 96 came with them, however from what others have told me..what ^^ said

4. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Has anyone put them on a 6th gen? Did you keep or remove the linked brakes? If keeping the linked brakes, I could see the upgrade being very expensive. I did Galfer s/s lines on my old bike, gave a more responsive brake and feel.

5. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Probably couldn't cost more than about $500, and wouldn't add more than five pounds...:biggrin:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I have never added them myself, but it seems that those who do always like them.

6. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

I've just finished fitting Hel lines to my 1999, good feel and I really notice the extra power when braking hard.

Complete set were about 400Euro.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    You 6th Gen owners want to improve braking power and feel? Seems adequate with the stock lines to me . . . .

My First Generation would definitely benefit from braided lines, though.

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Speigler Performance should have a kit for you. But my suggestion is before you jump out and spend $400 on brake lines - if you havent done a good brake bleed in 3 years plus, do that first and see if thats a improvement for you. Lots of times people report major improvement from going to the new lines when the improvement is instead the result of a good brake bleed.
    - I'm not knocking the steel lines, but do a good bleed first, then decide if the bucks spent will be worth it.

MD

9. Spike

Spike New Member

Yes

yes

only tried Galfer, so I can't compare to other brands

10. Spike

Spike New Member

Galfer has them for the 6th, got 'em, haven't installed them

it keeps linked brakes, which makes them a little more of a bear to install, but you just replace the lines, not any of the other braking stuff

11. Spike

Spike New Member

I think less than $500

and way less than 5lbs, if any at all, the kit just doesn't weigh very much

12. keeena

keeena New Member

I've heard HEL recommended because they use stainless fittings. Do you buy it, or is it hype?
    HEL Link

I've used Galfer lines in the past and never had a problem. They do feature a full kit for the ABS VFR.

I agree w/ Mello - bleed first. I find that theres only a minor improvement w/ SS lines for normal riding...a bit better feel. A larger improvement when coupled w/ other brake upgrades. Absolutely worth the upgrade if factory lines require replacement.

13. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm with mello on this one. I think the stretch/swell business on any modern bike is bunk. That being said, the quality of the materials in a good SS braid kit can't be beat. I got a custom set made at my local shop out of Earls hose and fittings. They cost about the same as prepared aftermarket bits and they were guaranteed to fit. Sometimes the ready-made stuff will have angles off and require you to do some twisting on the lines, uncool.

14. Taz

Taz New Member

Well the stretch isn't bunk if you push the bike in the canyons or track day's, especially if you trail brake, because with stock they will get mushy.

I had Earls fitted to mine as well & was a big improvement that was noticable.
    I latter replaced the master, & the rotors/calipers as well de-linking the bike with a Brembo set up.

But for the average rider/commuter, the stock brakes are fine, because if they weren't, the bike wouldn't of been sold or re-called by now.

15. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

Quick way to see, grab a brake hose and squeeze the brake lever. When the hose moves or gets bigger you've just proved it. Pretty much a guarantee that it does on any vehicle with rubber hoses.

16. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    spiegler brake line have great fit and finish even custom lines if you need them all you have to do is give them lengths and the fittings you need,great product.

17. Somefun

Somefun New Member

Guy's I got the Galfer kit and I'm in trying to do the install but the kit comes with two rear lines and one works but the other doesn't? One line is hose and on the end is a square block and out of that block comes a steel line that goes in to some kind of distribution block. But the line they gave me has the end on it that you put the bolt through. Anyone seen this issue?

18. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    with the 6th gen having the linked brakes, there are so many points that need to be bled out. SEVERAL people around here (shop, honda shop, Honda Certifed Tech - friend) said not to just because of all the locations.

19. Somefun

Somefun New Member

The Galfer lines won't fit on a 6th gen non ABS. I found out the hard way... But I installed the Galfer wave rotots front and rear along with EBC HH pads front and rear. Flushed the fluid and now she will stop like a MOFO!!!!