SPIED: SPIED: 2010 Honda VFR1200

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by 92yellowveefer, Jul 22, 2009.

1. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I've been wondering when this was going to finally happen. Saw a mention to the new Honda 1200 V4 powerplant in this past issue of Motorcyclist. I was just up on their site and saw this "Up to Speed" feature.
    Hold on to your hats...

SPIED: 2010 Honda VFR1200
    No racer-rep, the new model will be a supersport-touring V-4!
    By Aaron Frank
    Photography by Brenda Priddy & Co.

These are the first-ever photographs of the long-awaited, next-generation Honda VFR, shown here undergoing hot-weather testing at an undisclosed location in the American Southwest. Continuing its evolution as an all-around, GT-style sport-touring machine (rather than an aggressive, MotoGP-derived race replica, as earlier rumors hinted), this new-from-the-rims-up VFR looks bigger and brawnier than ever before. This suggests a return to CBR1100XX Blackbird-level speed and stamina, capable of challenging the BMW K1300S, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX-14 for the supersport-touring crown.
    Styling closely resembles the radical V-4 concept displayed at the Intermot Show in Cologne, Germany, last fall, with similar floating fairing sidepanels that envelope the back of the front wheel, presumably to help with both aerodynamics and engine cooling. A single, X-shaped multi-reflector headlamp rests between two cold-air intakes, and a tall, broad upper fairing looks like it will provide plenty of protection from the elements. The rear subframe is substantial, both for supporting a passenger and, most likely, accessory luggage. The VFR's signature single-sided swingarm remains, but chain final drive has been ousted in favor of a shaft, further reinforcing the sport-touring nature of this new machine.

Main frame spars are massive and near-horizontal, indicating chassis stiffness in line with big horsepower (rumored to be as much as 200 at the crank) and a low center of gravity for reasonable handling. There are few firm details about the engine, but it is strongly rumored to incorporate a sophisticated, variable-cylinder operation system capable of deactivating one bank of cylinders in low-load situations to increase fuel economy and lower emissions. Expect a version of Honda's Combined Anti-lock Brake System, and possibly some form of traction control, too. Note this test mule has conventional clutch and shift levers, so this model apparently will not feature DN-01-derived semi-automatic shifting as standard, though it might be available as an option.
    It's been more than eight years since the venerable VFR received its last significant update, making this makeover long overdue. We've also heard rumors of an ST1300 replacement and BMW GS-style mega-enduro based on this same platform. Expect the final production version of the VFR1200-and perhaps more concrete details on other new models-to make its official debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in October.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 92yellowveefer

Map
    BTW - I would be remiss if I did not point out this one statement:

"Main frame spars are massive and near-horizontal, indicating chassis stiffness in line with big horsepower (rumored to be as much as 200 at the crank)"

3. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Congratulations! You are only the BILLIONTH person to post up about the spy photos of the 2010 in the last 3 weeks!!!

Search is your friend!

4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, ahahahaha, hehehehe, yeah, I agree... :thumbsup::biggrin:

5. 92yellowveefer

Map
    LOL!
    Better to over post than not at all I guess...

6. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
  7. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Let put this to rest guys, Go ride your VFR.........Check your local Stealership in the near future :)

9. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    :rolleyes:Is that the new vfr:rolleyes::rolleyes:who is that 8 year old that stole that bike you posted and why does he have a tool kit and does he eat???:crazy:

10. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Eh, i like the 6th gen better sorry, it doesn't even look like a Sport Touring anymore besides that huge shaft drive system.

11. Tarhugger

Tarhugger New Member

If that is the new V4 concept, then I think you can ignore the amateurish fairing. Same thing that car manufcturers do before releasing a new model. Prelease models are heavily 'disguised' to fool the ever inquisitive paparazzi and industrial spies. I'll wait and see.