Spare engine storage

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Norse, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    I recently got my hands on a low millage spare engine (Gen5). I don't currently have any need for it. The engine in my bike is also pretty low millage so I don't foresee the need to swap it out any time soon.
    So realistically, the spare could be sitting around for years. At most I might take the clutch or similar from it, but most of it will likely not get to see any use in the near future.

So I was thinking about how best top store it.

Option A is to just leave it as is. If i'm not mistaking, that could mean that if I need it in a few years, chances are that I would have to do a pretty complete service on it before it's ready.

Option B is to take it completely apart, clean every component, wrap it all up and store it as individual parts.

I don't really see a option C, but there might be one.

What do you guys say? Leave it or take it apart?

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    If it was me. I would pull the plugs and hit it was fogging oil and try yo find someplace cool and dry to store it inside the house.

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    At the very least:
    1. Service it with new oil.
    2. Turn the engine over to get the fresh oil everywhere
    3. Pull the plugs & squirt a little oil (drops only) inside - re-install the plugs.
    4. Seal the holes (critter protection)

- is it stored 'inside' or is it exposed to all weathers?

If exposed (shed or non heated garage) then spray metal areas with ACF50

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Option C is to sell it !

5. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    If kept assembled, it will most likely have to be in a non-heated shed. I just don't want a huge thing I may never need, taking up space in my garage.

Personally I'm leaning towards taking it apart. It could then easily be stored in boxes in my work room upstairs, which is where I keep all my other parts anyway.
    It seems more likely that I would need single parts from it than the entire thing.

But as I said, I'm not a mechanic. I don't know what would be best for the engine/parts. I'm not looking for the easiest solution. If I have to spend a few days getting it squared away, I'm perfectly fine with that.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    taking it apart for storage makes no sense. just oil the cylinders and turn the crank every few months.

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly - although I wouldn't bother with turning it over - I'd wrap it up & seal it.

8. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    The real question is WHY it "makes no sense" taking it apart.
    Is it a worse way of long term storage, or is it just more work. As I said, I don't mind the extra work. It would serve as a good learning experience, and make it easier to get to individual parts should the need arise.

But if it would be better for the engine to stay assembled, that is obviously the way to go.

squirrelman likes this.
  9. Doug7200

Doug7200 New Member

United States
    Map
    A friend who builds race showed me how race engines are stored. The engines/crankcases are filled to overflow with engine oil. On a bike, I would angle the engine so the fill cap is the highest point and fill her up. It can't be much more than than 2 gallons of oil.

This way, all metal internal parts are submerged in oil. To run again - just drain out the oil.

I would also add oil into the cylinders and turn over a few times to distribute the oil. Then, use marine engine fogging oil in the plug holes, intake, exhaust, and ignition. On the exterior, spray with same fogging oil, then wrap.

The engine will keep for a long time with no damage.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map

Your low mile engine is assembled with factory equipment to specifications by trained technicians.
    If you store it well oiled, you maintain that quality for when it's ready for duty. You don't gain anything by taking it apart.

Just curious, how many miles do you ride in a year, and what's the mileage on you bike?
    So VFR engines are tough beasts, and say for instance, figure you annual miles and how long (years) will it take
    you to get to... being conservative, maybe 80k miles. That will be the time for the other engine stored away.

If I had a 2nd engine sitting there, I might be tempted to do some port and polish work, mbe add cams with RC45 profiles, and swap it sooner rather
    than later..

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  11. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Why not clean, paint and polish and put it on display. Its one of the best engines ever fitted to a motorcycle .

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    if you finally need another engine you'd need to reassemble the whole thing, no fun and co$tly for time, gaskets, etc. if you're not a practiced mechanic with proper tools, things may be damaged during removal and parts misplaced.