soon to be 99 owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by iamtylerdurden, May 3, 2009.

1. iamtylerdurden

iamtylerdurden New Member

Map
    hi everyone. im rick from socal. i should be getting my red 99 in about 2 weeks. im really excited and cant wait. before i pick it up i was hoping to get some suggestions on security. i live in an apartment complex and want to take all necessary precautions there and when i ride around town. what are some good locks/covers/alarms and how many locks should i have for home and around town? thanks in advance.[/

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Rotor Lock with a cord reminder are good and Id install an Alarm while I was at it. Cheap cover for it may help as well and protect the finish. Otherwise park it in your living room.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    stay away from the cheap cover on ebay. I got one and it starting flaking off within the first year... the little white soft stuff on the inside that is. it would fall all over my bike and make a mess... better than nothing I guess, but not by much...

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I'll tell you what my father told me when I bought anything nice & then tried to take it somewhere & had to lock it up:
    "Son, locks keep honest people honest. If a scum-bag wants to steal your bike, he's going to steal it. The lock will only slow him down."

My first 00 VFR was stolen. It was covered with one of the covers that has a cable lock to hold it to the bike. It also had a U lock holding it to a "Motorcycle Parking Only" sign.

When I attempted to go to work the next day, the entire package: bike, cover, cover cable/lock & U lock were all gone. The parking sign was pulled out of the ground. The one end had a large block of concrete on it like most signs. They simply unbolted the sign from the pole & slid the pole out of the lock & threw the bike into a van or truck.

If I had to recommend anything, I would go for one of the shackles that actually get bolted into the concrete. Chaparral Racing is where I usually see them advertised. That with one of the U locks that offers an insurance plan. I don't know if Kryptonyte still offers this or not. When mine bike was stolen, I received a $1000 payment from Kryptonyte. Good luck keeping the new ride safe.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. iamtylerdurden

Map
    Thanks for all the help. This is my first bike and i'm new to the whole scene. What about brands and best places to buy either at an actual store or online. KC-10: Sorry about your bike. Thats BS, i guess it does go to show no matter how much you try and keep your things safe, someone will always find a way to take it. At home i'll be using the cord around the support to the covered parking. As far as anywhere else i guess i need to find a bolted location and i'm also going to get a paging alarm system. Like i said i'm in SoCal so any store suggestions i can actually go into and actually look at what i'm buying would be nice.

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Should've parked it next to a Gixxer...Good bike locks like good house security is their to encourage the thief to steal the next easier one along that has no lock.

But if they really want your bike its gone, remember years a ago a mates mate with a Harley had it parked in his locked backyard gate chained with a locksmiths best chain and padlock combo to his cloths lines galvanised steel poll emededed in concrete, the theives used a large pipe cutter to cut his cloths line poll and 4 of them lifted the disabled HD to the driveway and onto a waiting truck....

7. julianivfr

julianivfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    Comprehensive insurance. Like KC said, if anyone wants to steal your bike, they will.

8. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    welcome to the forum! where you at in socal? you have several stores here: Del amo motorsports in manhattan beach, long beach motorsports (obviously, in LB, which was bought by del amo), LA cyclesports in Inglewood, and a bunch of stores in Sandiego area. Of course, the biggest among them all is chaparal, off the 215 fwy.

9. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    If your apartment complex has separate garages for rent I'd get that instead of using the lock setup. Like everyone is saying here, locks really just slow down the thief and if they really want it they'll get it.

10. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    The more deterrent the better. If your bike looks hard to steal then they will move on to something easier. Rotor Lock, Lock your steering!, Cable the wheels together, alarm it and cover it up. Unless you dont care and then let them steal it as stated and have good insurance.

11. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    The pager deal is good for your situation. I have had several people recommend the Lojack. It is more expensive but has a pretty good recovery rate. Insurance is also a must.
    The 99 has the advantage of being an "older" bike so not on the top ten stolen list.

Good luck.

12. iamtylerdurden

Map
    luckily my room is about 50ft away from where ill park it. i moved in almost 2 yrs ago and there is a guy across the parking lot with a covered and corded duel sport. i dont think hes had any trouble with stealing or joy ride attempts. i do live in the nicer part of ventura county which makes me feel a little better...even though that means nothing since anyone can stroll into town from any other city. so what about brands? i think a rotor lock with an alarm, cable lock, u lock, paging alarm and cover should do it. what do u guys think? also, website suggestions would b great. this is one aspect i wont b cheap on but then again im a college student so i dont really have a huge budget. lets say around 200 not including the alarm since that will b about 200 alone and ill have to get that a little later...

13. iamtylerdurden

Map
    just a bump