Son of a BXXXX, laid her down this morning

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by The_Interceptor86, Oct 8, 2008.

1. The_Interceptor86

The_Interceptor86 New Member

Map
    Bumped the throttle during a slow turn on a wet street and kicked out the rear. You know the rest. Basically the bike is in good shape no dents and minimal scratches. Most of the damage was to the mirrors, grips, and clutch lever (it broke). My biggest concern is that now when I'm going in a straight line the handle bars seem to be angled right. It doesn't seem to perfectly line up straight. Is it screwed? This sucks because i was planning a trip with my dad this weekend. the bike is an 86 500. Now I have to find a new lever and someone to look it over before Saturday.

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    So, you are saying it does not drive straight anymore?
    If so, yes the front end is out of whack. Without seeing it, it is hard to say what exactly is the problem.

3. The_Interceptor86

Map
    i can make it go in a straight line however, the handle bars don't appear to match up including the plastic case that goes around the key hole that covers the fuses. It got dropped on its left side, now the everything is angled slightly right. Haven't driven it at high speed to see if it pulls. I found a clutch lever than can be shipped in 2 days for 30 bucks from a dealership. And im just going to have it looked at professionally here in a few.

4. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    put it on the centerstand. Have someone or something weight the rear so the front end is in the air. put a block of wood under the front tire to gently support the front end. Loosen the triple clamp bolts that clamp the fork tubes, and the clamping bolt that holds the upper triple tree clamp to the steering stem. Wiggle everything around a bit (fork tubes, triple clamps) then snug everything back up 12ish ft-lbs. I would also loosen the clip-ons and reposition them if they are out of whack.

Low speed tipovers usually don't do any serious damage, beyond cosmetics.

5. The_Interceptor86

Map
    one thing i realized this afternoon is that when you turn the bars full right they will run into the windshield. I don't remember it doing that before. And it doesn't hit anything at full left.

6. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you ar K

I am not sure how your local shops are but mine will take you ahead of others wif you had a minor mishap.
    I had one and my shop took me right away. they checked the bike over and made sure it was safe to ride.

You whoudl try your local guys. Something about motorcycle guys these things are more important to them than oil changes.

You will knwo in 20 mins if it is good to go or not.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    each handle bar should be adjustable individually. you most likely only knocked the handle bar out of wack.

8. The_Interceptor86

Map
    i had it looked at and yes the handle bar was out of whack. I got charged 55 bucks for the adjustment and look over. The handle bar doesn't hit the windshield anymore so that's good. He also told me my slave cylinder might need to be replaced since it is leaking clutch fluid.

9. supervfr

supervfr Banned

I know how you feel. My first wreck was the exact same. I was sitting at a light. took off to go around the corner. The bike went around the corner, i didnt.

I laid on the pavement watching sparks creating a bed under my spinning bike.

and i scuffed up my good work pants.