Some questions..wanting to buy a VFR

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am looking to buy my first VFR 800 - 1998..this bike is to be an FI model with an automatic choke but the ones I have been looking at have a manual choke on the left bar. Is this normal...also, is there any advantage with an 2000-2001 as the prices seem to be about the same. Any help or other comments would be appreciated...thanks

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Technically, what you refer to as a choke is actually an idle lever. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is. But on a regular choke, the fuel mixture is just made richer without holding the throttle open and revving the engine. The idle lever does not richen the fuel mixture, it just holds the bike at a higher RPM until it the engine warms up, usually in less than a minute. It is only needed if the bike engine is totally cold. During a day of stopping and starting, you won't need it after the first start of the day.

The 2000-2001's have a closed loop FI system that can actively monitor the oxygen levels in the exhaust and automatically raises the engine RPM when it is cold. Then drops the rpms as the engine warms up. There is also a catalytic convertor on the 2000-2001's. Other than that, the bikes are identical.

I have a 98 and a 2001. The idle lever is a non-issue. Both bikes start on the first try every single time. On the 98, I set the lever to halfway and then almost immediately start moving it back to the off position. I would not use that as a factor in deciding between two bikes of different years.

Adios,