Solo Long Ride MB to BC, Nervous and Excited

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by A.M, May 3, 2016.

1. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I am planning a moto-camping trip riding solo, potentially leaving at the end of May/early June.

I would begin in MB, ride to Prince Rupert, possibly ferry up to Alaska, ride back down through Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, CO, and back home.

I have the mental and physical endurance for this, but I am extremely nervous about going alone.
    Then I just happened across the Highway of Tears murders. :/

What should be some things I need to consider for:
    personal safety?
    packing?
    possible problems with the bike?
    additional insurance/travel insurance?

What is it like camping, gassing up, shopping, along routes in western Canada?
    For example, is there a gas stop every 200 miles?
    Camping sites no more than a day apart?

I've read so much I feel overloaded with information; however, the major theme of all the sources are to not overthink and just GO!
    But I just don't want to GO and be ignorant to obvious things I shoudn't overlook.

There were no problems for me on my ride to Gaspe, other than being scared setting up camp on random sides of roads and severe tornadic storms ripping the tent apart, and a really trying day of hours of freezing rain and hail storms in the mountains...plus I still felt that way even though I had a very competent partner with me.

If there are some quality links to other places or threads, I'd appreciate that and some input from awesome Canadians.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Highway of tears missing women were primarily First Nations (our PC term for Aboriginal people here). These women were mostly persons at risk. Though one should never let their guard down, travelling alone. Canada is very safe. Gas, food, and lodging in BC is easily aquired. Now . Taking the Alaskan Hwy up to Alaska, I don't know but from MB to Rupert, you are good to go.

Scubalong recently rode through here and up to Alaska so he would be a good reference source. Post a thread so we can keep track of your progress. Who knows. I might be able to meet with you for some of your ride, if I am around. I'm off to MB on mid June not to return till mid to end of July.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, you know I'll ride along with you while you're in Manitoba if I'm around then and you want the company, and I might even be able to swing part of Saskatchewan depending on time. As you know, I'll be meeting up with my friends from VA and OH in South Dakota at the beginning of June.

I hope to entertain Randy for a bit while he's visiting the Province and his family out here in mid-June. Not sure if I'll have gotten around to finishing up my VF1000F by then for him to ride - but I'll try! :)

I cannot comment on the # of fuel stops along #16 (Yellowhead Route) outside of Manitoba, but within Manitoba you should be good. Just fill up every time you can as the gaps between towns will be much longer, and many of the towns are very small to the point where they may not have a gas station.

Lots of camping spots up here all over Manitoba, but there are a few that are better than others. I would suggest you stay a night in Riding Mountain National Park if you have the time. It's beautiful up there and you pass just to the South of it on #16.

If you can - try and explore the Kenora / Keewatin area of Ontario (right along the Manitoba border) or at least the Whiteshell in Manitoba along the Canadian Shield. Some of the most picturesque lakes are in this area. It starts about 45 minutes from where I live.

... and of course ... you're more than welcome to my garage and bike lift if you need to do some maintenance. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Would your budget stretch to hotels rather than camping? That is where you would be most vulnerable.

Extreme kudos to you.

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    besides the usual tire plug kit, tool kit (with extra wire), air pump etc.. I'd recommend a spare voltage regulator. I have a spare stator coil with cover gasket just in case since they tend to go up in smoke at the same time. the charging system is probably the weakest link after things like a flat tire. You don't want to have to place a parts order in the middle of nowhere.

personal safety? a good knife, gps transponder (Delorme Inreach, Spot etc..) bear mace, a bright flashlight that exceeds the output of car highbeams (this ain't no maglite https://youtu.be/HrN2mYGAVG8?t=161)

6. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    When we went up to Alaska, I rode on a 1980 Suzuki GS750L. It would only get between 180-200 k.m/tank! I never ran out of fuel, nor did I even come close. There are plenty of gas stations if you are going to Alaska. Don't be skipping gas stations a lot, as the one 50 k.m's up the road may be closed or out of fuel, etc. As for personal safety, don't give it a second thought. I have travelled all over Western Canada and into the States without a problem. If you have a problem with your bike, you can always order parts and have them sent to the nearest place the Greyhound stops, or to the nearest town that a courier goes to. Get it sent "Rush" or "Overnight Express". The one thing I would take is a repair kit for tires,with a way to reinflate the tire, and be confident enough to use it. That's one thing non motorcycle people won't touch, is motorcycle tires. Also, probably best to have good tires on your bike at the start of your trip, as it's a long haul. When we went, we both camped and stayed in motels, depending on weather and mood. Lots of really nice camping though. A note- when they repair the highway, they lay gravel over the asphalt, for up to 25 k.m.'s at a time, then re lay the asphalt. It is very dusty, when dry, or kinda of soupy when wet. Brush up on your gravel riding skills. Also, bring some good "Deet" bug spray! If you are passing through Edmonton, and need a hand with something, or want a place to change your oil or tires or something, I'd let you do it at my place. If you have a problem, look me up, or get my number before you go, in case of Emergency. I do have a truck and could come rescue you. Edmonton is the last big City before going up North. Have fun.

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Riding alone is the best, you will meet so many great people along the way.
    Camping is wisely available in CAN, Yukon and Alaska. Wild camping would be my choice :wink:
    In the state most of the popular camp site all book up. So plan to end your ride before dark so you have more time to search for available space. Late May early Jun You might encounter rain and snow in some part of Yukon and Alaska.
    During summer majority of the roads will be dig up so be prepare. I would switch out the tires for dirt friendly. Scorpion Trail would work. As for gears I would recommend to layer up due to the temperature change.

8. Scubalong

United States
  9. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    No offence, but that is incredibly naive to say. Anyone travelling alone anywhere in the world, no matter how "safe" it is should take their personal safety very seriously indeed. Unfortunately this applies even more so to a woman.

10. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    I would look for roads off the hiway that are big Gravel Pits that were used for building the Hiway. Always had the place to myself (cheap camping).

Bear Spray ($20) is a real good idear, keep unruly critters away, including Humans.
    Never had a problem with critters though, don't think they like the smell of Petroleum.

I got a cheap 12V Air Compressor from Walmart, bustd off the plastic housing (its pretty small inside) and solder on extended wires, replace cigarette lighter plug with Alligator Clips. But you probably won't need it. If you leave with fresh Tires/Chain you should be OK.

Get the small packs of Baby Wipes, wipe your Face, Hands, Face Shield,,..

Going to the Sun road in Glacier should be Plowed of Snow by then.
    Jellystone Park averages 8000' up, can get cold at night.

June should be good, July/August things get stupid in the Parks.
    The Banffff Tunnel Mtn Campground (over 1300 sites) fills up, its a Zoo.

You'll be the Star of the road up there, eveyone wants to talk to you; (where are you from?, where ya going?, how fast is that bike?,,,.. )
    One guy came out of his big 5th wheel trailer in the morning with cups and a pot of hot coffee, that was neat,,..
    My wife did a Bike trip on her own thru the BC interior on her 84 GS400e (way back).
    When she'd stop at a lookout/pullout, every one came over to see her, her bike and,,.. "How fast is that bike?, where are ya from?, where ya goin?,,.."

Probably the worst that happens is your bike falls over, breaks a lever (bring spares).
    You can get by with a broken Mirror or Signal.

If you come by Calgary, look me up, we can do a Mid Trip Maintenance (change Oil, adj Chain,,..)

11. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Never been to those places, no advice on those roads. I agree on what to bring with you as far as spares and parts; I'd also bring spare fuses, basic tools, a first aid kit, and base layers.
    The key to a long, exciting and successful ride -I think- is to have a positive attitude and to learn and make the best out of adversity when/if it happens. Safe travels.

12. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Anne-Marie

Wow - that should be a great trip - so just do it!

I am sure the folks your side of the pond are best placed to advise on any places to go/avoid. However I guess some of the general motorbike touring stuff we have on our website might help with planning your first really long trip - such as the packing list here.

http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbiking/

Inherently many riders take far too much on their first long trips and only figure out the really essential stuff after a few trips. If you are riding solo then perhaps the most important suggestion to make is to be realistic in terms of your planned daily mileage, especially if you need to allow time to put up/take down tents, pack the bike and also pick up food and fuel every day. Ideally on such a long trip try to build in a few spare days, just in case you wake-up to find a full day of torrential rain is forecast. If you have spare time, its probably better to delay setting off until the weather clears, rather than have to press on in potentially horrible riding conditions just to keep to a set schedule.

PS Depending on your progress, you could of course expect a warm welcome if you swing by Atascadero for the Memorial weekend and join this years R3!

Take care

SkiMad

13. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Be sure to ask Randy how to use your debit card at Canadian gas stations. :confused:

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOL Rob, you beat me too it. Sounds like a lot of good advice from those that are in the know. One thing that stands out for me is to pace myself, to many times I had to be somewhere at a particular time and I know I missed a lot of cool stuff. So like what Skimad brought up is the time, don't get yourself in a spot where there isn't enough time, take it all in stride. I'd also would just for the sake of knowing check with motels /hotels on given routes, I know that a fresh shower feels great and gets the juices following. in all that I'd say jump on and go, sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders done your home work, this isn't your first rodeo by what I read, just a tad longer. If it works out, post up as you go along, that way we all know you're doing ok. lots of folks here that would be more than happy to lend a hand especially for a gal ;)

15. Scubalong

United States
    Oh yes I forgot about this annoying process :sad:
    Get a smart chip card before head out. Save you a lot of headache

16. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    Was just rembering, that Canadian Border Services considers Bear Spray a Weapon.
    You might be OK to DECLARE IT at the border, and they might let it go, or they may confiscate it, but then you go on.
    If you forget to declare it, and they find it, you are in Trouble.
    You could just buy it here. When I bought one, I had to fill out a Federal Form.
    Funny how they won't let you bring yours in, but you can still buy it here, might be a Certification Issue.
    Quite a difference between what we consider Weapons and their Availability (and need).

17. A.M

Thank you all for your input, advice, and suggestions. I've recorded them all and I am working on the itenerary. I'll post it if interested and welcome comments and suggestions.

I am taking graduate classes and I have a small window of time off from classes. I plan to leave on May 25 and give myself until June 15 to complete the journey.

I rode 7,000 miles to Gaspé in 14 days, but it was pushing it at times. I want to be able to have some buffer for time as some of you suggested, as well as be at camp by dark.

If I leave on the 25th, that will put me at entering Manitoba on May 26. I'll camp and ride around Whiteshell in the morning as Jeff suggested then head West.

I cannot stomach to drop the money for a hotel every night. I can see myself reserving a hotel for a hard day like freezing rain all day like I did in Nova Scotia or to perk myself up if I'm feeling challeneged. I'm hoping to find shower facilities at camp grounds. Maybe if I can meet up with any of you in Canada you could point me to a facility.

Thank you for mentioning about the bear mace. I'm surprised that's not allowed over the border. I'll wait for that purchase once I cross.

Thank you for the offers of help and assistance. I've been drafting the route plans based on going through your city and if you are still willing, I'll message you for your contact info.

If there is anyone in the states around Glacier, Yellowstone, and on down the Rockies who would be willing to be available when I come through, let me know! :) I'd appreciate it!

I'm not sure I'd make R3. Is that on CA? I found the city in a thread, but missed seeing the state. In the interest of time, I'm cutting down through those National Parks instead of going down the West Coast....which I cannot wait to do on another ride in the future. :) plus I may be late since I'll just be heading out a few days before Memorial Day weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

18. A.M

And OH MY...I forgot how much moose are more of a problem it seems than bears...

That will be the end of me if a mischievous moose tramples my tent or darts out in the road. :/

19. A.M

20. A.M

So how is this done? Only one of my cards has a chip. The others do not. I remember using the card like in the states when I was in east Canada, but now there are all the fancy chip thingys.