So this Duc follows me home

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Outboard John, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Ok, so about two weeks ago I'm poking around on ebay for fun just to see if there are any of my bucket list bikes on there. I know, what was I thinking? There it is, a 2012 Pikes Peak edition Multistrada with loads of farkles and only 4,200 Mi. Buy it now price $15,995 and opening bid of $12,000........ thinking, thinking, thinking, ok, auction sniper with a max bid of $13,775.....bingo! Your the winning bidder! Yeah! Not so fast, didn't meet the reserve, damn it. Well an hour later It's relisted for $14,995, had to wait a couple of days and talk myself into trying this again. Bring on the sniper. I uped my max bid to $14,075 since there were 42 watchers on this item and someone had made the minimum bid, but was below the reserve. Waiting, waiting, waiting, ding ding ding, winner at $13,300! I did mention it has alot of farkles, among them are black factory paniers not in the pictures that I took after bringing it home from Scottsdale. So now my 07 Garage queen has a stable mate. I have only had a chance to ride it twice since getting home with it a week ago Sunday. First impressions are, huge torque, deceptively fast, Ohlins suspension is amazing! Love the upright seating position, feels like a big dirt bike that is super comfortable. One of the farkles is the Termigoni carbon fiber exhaust (shorty muffler) but sans the baffle insert. That's gotta be the first thing I track down as this thing is embarrissingly loud! The muffler is essentially straight through and the exhaust has been decatted. Well all for now, what do you all think?
    John

Attached Files:

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    John I hate you.....:wink:
    Congratulations :thumbsup:

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats sir. Merry Christmas to John from John.

4. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Thank you my friend. Glad to see that you made it back from Death Valley unscathed.:congratulatory:
    Will have much more time soon to harass you in person, retiring:party2: (closing) from the Toy Store at the end of February unless someone steps up and buys it, in which case I may have to stay on to train a new owner.
    John

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Congratulations John! One of my wish list bikes too. Enjoy!

6. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Thank you sir. I often say, "all the cool guys are named John" most of my friends disagree though:biggrin-new:
    John

7. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Thanks Daryl. Looking forward to the next Meet, Greet and Eat Ride, but now,,,,,,which bike to ride?
    John

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, my wit, or lack thereof, was lost. I figured since you bought yourself a bike right before Christmas, it was a gift to you, from you. Hence to John from John. I'm Mike. And theres no doubt all the cool guys are named Mike. My friends don't even try to disagree. :biggrin: Just ask Long.

9. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I think that's a gorgeous bike... Great find!

10. Scubalong

United States
    This message have been concurrent by me :thumb:

11. Scubalong

United States
    I can help you John
    You ride the rwb and I will ride the Duc :pound:
    Both will be happy :wink:

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Congratulations on the new ride. The bikes look fantastic together, like candy!

13. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome buy!
    That will be my next bike in about ten years when the prices come down to the bottom feeder levels I call home.

That VFR is still the prettier machine IMHO.

My buddy just picked up a new 2014 and he's really rubbing my face in it but there is no way I can find that kind of cash. No worries, it's -19C here anyway so not much riding happening. We can't even ride our sleds because the weather man forgot to bring the snow. How messed up is that?

14. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Congrats. Twins are loud even stock so that insert isn't going to help much. It's a Ducati, be proud of it, leave the exhaust alone ;)

15. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Congratulations John! On both the bike and upcoming retirement. Looks like a ton of fun! When I read the thread title, I was sure it was going to be OOTV on his Duc who had spotted and followed you home. This is much better and less creepy.

16. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Much less creepy:disturbed: and very funny James!
    Thanks for all the compliments on both of the bikes everyone.
    As far as the Duc being loud, thankfully while we were in the Scottsdale area we had made an appointment with a gentleman that goes by Arizona Al, he lives in nearby Mesa. Al makes the custom ear plugs like you might get at an "earologest" (made that up just for fun, funny me, ha ha) or at a motorcycle show or rally. I had some made at the Long Beach Cycle World bike show a couple of years ago and they were not done well at all. One side would get knocked out just trying to put my helmet on, totally useless; anyway I think that it must be AL's attention to detail in the fit and trimming of the finished plug that makes them fit better. Got one pair of standard plugs, and a second pair with speaker drivers for music and communicating. Al uses a single driver that feeds into small air tubes that go through the ear plugs, sound great(good base) and super durable, no wires to break. This will help keep the Duc's decibels in check for me while riding, I just hope my neighbors don't tar and feather me! Of course with our recent cold snap (for SoCal) feathers might help:playful:
    John
    Happy New Year all.