so...my bike fell over in the wind.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Microwavable, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Microwavable

Microwavable New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have the area in front of my garage that is just a mushy mess of soft ground, I had it up on the center stand and I should have know better. I turn around and I hear a terrible sound, that is my 02 VFR800 falling over on its side and the gas tank hitting the lawn lower. I couldnt even lift the bike up as the ground was soft so I had to leave it until my wife came home from work and we got it upright.
    It was just the topping on a already shit day and the worst part is I should have know better.
    On the plus side of things my wife is a very talented panel beater/auto refinisher so she took the tank to work and gave it to a very experienced old timer who beat out the worst of it and my wife bogged the rest.
    Then we had a discussion about do I just want to keep it red or change it? I thought lets change the bike colour and lets have some fun with it.
    The result is what you see below. Its a blend that my wife created but most of you will recognise the base as harlequin and we added in our own mix of goodies.

[​IMG]

vfr8002.jpg
    vfr8001.jpg

You can also see that I got rid of the clip ons and installed the ABM triple clamp converstion for regular handlebars. The differense is amazing and its not all day comfortable for me to ride.
    Its not everyones cup of tea what we have done but I really like the changes.

Samuel likes this.
  2. CDA441

CDA441 New Member

Belgium
    That sucks, and is amazing at the same time, call it a happy accident!

Cool that your wife is a panel beater, saves some of the cost (I think). The color is also very nice, looks like black, purple and blue at the same time!
    I probably should switch to a normal handlebar myself, but the cost is a little too steep for my budget, maybe in the next 3 years or so :)

3. Microwavable

Microwavable New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    thanks mate, the kit it self wa very inexpensive I was very suprised
    https://www.bikermart.co.uk/Honda-VFR800-RC46-2002~13-ABM-Superbike-Handlebar-Streetfighter-Kit

CDA441 likes this.
  4. Shackwa

Shackwa New Member

Australia
    I just fitted Heli Bars to my 02 VFR better but maybe the ABM's would be a better option. Any idea how they compare to Heli Bars? Did you fit bar ends doesn't look like it in the pics.

5. Microwavable

Microwavable New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I had Helibars on my Blackbird, I didnt like them, there was to much that can go wrong IMHO. There are so many adjustment and moving parts I just wanted some normal bars. This system that I got just convert to normal bars, you can even add risers if you want.

In the pictures I had not added bar ends yet, I needed to go the our hardware store to get 100mm bolts and nuts.

The normal 22mm or 7/8 inch bar ends are in now. The system is so easy and fool proof, I was overjoyed with the fit and polish of it, and it was inexpensive, it was a no brainer for me.
    As with everything there is one catch. With the instructions it tells you to reroute the throttle cables under the tank (instead of the stock way that goes around the steering stem) so now the cables going under the tank and to the right of the steering stem. Even this way the cables sometimes bind. We got a friggin wicked cool kit from the states and shipped it to NZ from these guys are Revival. We are going to make our own custom length cables.
    The bike is rideable and I do ride it now, its just a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, the throttle feels stiff sometimes

The kit from Revival has every imaginable cable end you can think of.

20190128_164226.jpg 20190128_164238.jpg

And we bought some extra cable and sleeve locally (we couldnt source the ends locally)

20190128_164255.jpg

The bar end in the pic is very heavy, I like my bar ends heavy. My wife is just the opposite for her bikes.

20190128_163121.jpg
    20190128_163130.jpg

The kit slips over the shocks ends (its tight) but fits great and is secured with a washer and nut under that black water cap.

Any questions shout.

PS oh I forgot here is a video from revival on how to make the cables :D