So... I found out just how bad the stock exhausts are today...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Sc4recr0w, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    Wondering who else has come into this issue... Went to sort the brake caliper out on my project, took the wheel off and realised I needed more clearance, so I started taking the exhaust off.. all of a sudden there was a crumble and the exhaust had basically snapped off [​IMG][​IMG]

robotics tech for my day job, mechanic and fabricator for a hobby, oil may run through my veins... but that's only after a horrific injury

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Depending upon the weather the machine is being used in, and lack of maintenance, this can be expected.

3. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Mild steel and British winters don't make for long exhaust life. Thankfully our cousins from Nippon seem to have copped onto this. Most modern stuff seems to come with some variety of corrosion resistant steel. I hesitate to say stainless as in my experience it is anything but. However, while they may oxidise and discolour, exhausts no longer suffer like your example.

Sc4recr0w likes this.
  4. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    I understood that the exhausts would rot a bit, it's something that's mentioned a fair bit on reviews and whatever, didn't think it would rot right through, bike was mainly garaged for 2 years not ran, not too sad though, managed to find a set of downpipes for about 50 pounds earlier that were still shiny just incredibly dusty so I'm very happy,

bike is due to be on the road by the end of the month when I have passed my test [​IMG]

robotics tech for my day job, mechanic and fabricator for a hobby, oil may run through my veins... but that's only after a horrific injury

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You have a 21 year old bike... This is not uncommon.. One of my 32 year old bikes both the collector pipes disintegrated..

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Living in So Cal, I don't see this type of corrosion on the bikes around here but have seen a few people in the UK, Ireland and other more wetter regions who have posted similar issues. Sent a set of rear link pipes to a VFR owner in Ireland for his 5 Gen, as his were completely rotted.

7. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    As soon as I have the money I will be buying some stainless downpipes, but these ones will be wrapped as soon as I can do so

8. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Maybe rethink the wrapping.. not sure if it will, but do you want to trap anything under the wrap?

VFRIRL likes this.
  9. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    I will be wrapping as much as possible with the exhaust off the bike if I do in order to make it as painless as possible, so trapping anything won't be an issue, and the joining clamps will be left uncovered so I can take it apart again if I upgrade to a stainless system

10. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I just picked up 2 sets of downpipes/collector box from a guy who used to be a vfr enthusiast and was getting rid of some old parts he had, the oem exhausts on mine are still fine, I'll keep the catless one for my bike, I might sell the other headers with the cat and 02 sensor fittings, don't think they suit my 99 bike.

11. wiso

wiso New Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty sure wrapping will damage the steel more than having them bare. Heat will be held in them.

12. Sc4recr0w

Sc4recr0w New Member

United Kingdom
    Heat is less of a problem than the chance of them rotting again, I plan to keep the bike covered etc, and get some aftermarket downpipes eventually, but for now, I'm thinking to rust treat, clean and paint the exhaust Im gonna get with some high temp paint, to lessen any further rusting ( yeah I know it can't be avoided but the paint will help some) and then wrap it, and go from there, lots of work for something that will probably be back off the bike in 3 months but it will keep it in decent condition for emergency spares.