Small vibration since new rear tire installed

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by risgett, Aug 16, 2013.

1. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Let me start off by saying I normally don't do any of my own maintenance...I let the dealer do it. But about a month ago, I needed a new rear tire and had some spare time so I decided to take the wheel off my self and take it to get a new tire put on. Ever since, I have had a small vibration. I seem to notice it the most when I roll on the throttle at lower RPMs. I also notice it between 75 and 100 mph. It's very slight but it's there. I had trouble breaking the lug nuts loose when I took the rear off. Had to put it in gear, get someone to hold the bike and use a cheater pipe. Do you think I could have bent/stretched something by doing this, because my help wasn't holding the rear break? I did NOT have any vibrations before the tire change. The tire is a Michelin and I watched the old guy mount and balance it and I'm pretty sure it's not the tire because the vibration isn't there if I pull the clutch and coast, regardless of speed. Any ideas guys? BTW, 14k miles on the clock.

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Your wheel is out of balance, I have the same issue and take it to another shop and the vibration go away. Good luck

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Did you adjust your chain at the same time. Possibly it is far to tight? Very bad news if it is. Check that first. It is quick, easy and cost nothing.

4. V4 Dude

V4 Dude New Member

Last summer I had a shop install a set of Michelin PR3's, I originally brought them the wheels as I did not feel comfortable letting them take the wheels off. As soon as I got the tires back on and got on the interstate I noticed a slight vibration starting around 70+ mph. Took the bike back to the tire shop and let them check the balance of both wheels. They pulled the weights and rebalanced both wheels, reinstalled them, when I got on the interstate the vibration was still there. Next day when back to the shop, they installed a new PR3 in the rear. Same vibration. Next day back at the shop, we decided to change both tires to Bridgestone BT-023 tires. After getting the Bridgestone tires installed I got on the interstate and found the vibration GONE. Seems like it was the PR3 tires. I know plenty of owners have posted that they have had good experiences with the PR3 tires but that was mine.

BTW, the shop also scratched the crap out of my front wheel when rebalancing, they were not careful with the front brake calipers and allowed them to contact the wheel during wheel removal and installation. I let them know so when they changed the front tire to the BT-023 they wrapped a shop towel around each caliper to prevent more scratches. Sucks but what can I do.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sounds like a dynamic re-balance is necessary for both wheels. There are torque ratings on those rear lug nuts. Sounds like the last time the rear wheel was off the nuts were tightened with an air tool way too tight and a torque wrench was not used. Look for gouges on the wheel itself.

This is a tire shop? YIKES!