Small, dry nitrous shot on gen 4?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by LayinLow, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    So to make a long story short, I got rear ended last month at a stoplight. Not badly enough to ruin my baby, but enough to get knocked over. I've brought it back to life with a new flavor and its running great as ever. I just recently got this idea in my head that seems bulletproof based on the engine "laws", I just wanted some opinions.

SOO I'm thinking the vfr750 engine is damn near invincible and built enough to probably produce 30 more horses then the Honda guru's gave us from the factory for longevity. The stock internals are said to be strong enough for a conservative amount of forced induction. The drivetrain is also very stout...hell the bike is a rock. SOO what would be the harm in putting a small bottle say, 20 shot dry nitrous kit right in the intake snorkel. I have a K&N filter which flows plenty of air/gas so no issue there. I am running the bike naked (all cleaned up) so there's no issue with the hot engine being choked for cooler air. I've even got a cpu fan on my r/r, so no issue there. My exhaust is non cali straight through with a Delkevic "stubby" carbon pipe, so DEFINITELY no issue with a restrictive exhaust.

Heres the kicker.....theoretically I won't even need to rejet (and have the bike running sub par when not spraying) because i can turn on the choke before spraying to get the needed fuel. Spraying a couple times at 1/2 choke and at full to see what sounds/performs best and just remember it. This seems theoretically sound to me...any inputs or seen this done?????:potstir:

2. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    have you out ridden your bike? I say leave it alone. unless you can get it dialed in without having to manually chke the bike to get the nos to work... you should look at the toro super charger....

3. rcfoggy

rcfoggy New Member

United States
    Map
    I have built several nitrous bikes for street and strip.Nitrous is not very forgiving when run lean ,and using the choke will lead to a holed piston.If you want nitrous buy a kit that that is readily available, they have already done the testing and will save you problems.

4. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    No Crusty, I would say the bike is still capable of outriding me. I've yet to drag a knee on it, and up in the mountains with the engine freely breathing through a k&n and opened exhaust, its got more than enough balls to kill me. This is just something I'm thinking about because I'm waiting for my stupid tail cowl to come back from the shop and I'm brainstorming. As you say RC, upon looking at it, its not that straightforward and the last thing I want to do is blow my engine...especially when it promises 15 years more of riding..lol. I just wish there was something else you could do to wring 20 more hp out of the VFR engine other than exhaust and intake work ive already done. I don't want to rejet because ive had a cbr berfore that was jetted and it didnt run quite as good....-Shrug-

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    man Crusty - why ya gotta be so damn negative all the time????

supercharger kit isn't available for the 4th gen naturally aspirated engine either.

There are threaded ports on the intake for each cylinder. Have never done a NOS but suspect you would be far better shooting it in there as opposed to the airbox?

And don't cheap out on a dyno tune with properly jetted carbs.

Good news is, engines are about the easiest thing to find for a few hundred bucks if you are willing to wait.

6. Gbam

Gbam New Member

I like the idea but, after dropping a tooth in the front, the VFR is now wide awake! She's crazy quick now. Try that if you haven't already...

7. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    I cant drop a tooth because I'm on the freeway doing 85+ on a daily basis....I already wish I had a 7th gear...can you imagine that? Lol. RC is right....after my friend made fun of me and reexplained what the function of the choke actually is I realized this would be an engine death sentence for SURE.

8. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll be the devil on you left shoulder:

Do it! You will get 10 cool points if your successful, 12 points if you survive your first run!

If you install a proper kit you won't have to do anything with your carbs or airbox. That's the beauty of a nitro system. There are many places to hide a small NOX tank.

Iv'e been looking at my carb balancing ports and dreaming of drilling them out a little bit, then taping them for injectors. Don't need a big kit, just that little bit for the 1 liter that pulls up (I mean at the drag strip of course). The 600's don't scare me anymore:chaingun: