Show Your On-board Camera Systems

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Aced It, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Particularly for 6th Gen'ers, I would appreciate you all showing your on-board camera systems and how you mounted the cameras themselves along with any monitor screens. There isn't much room on the handlebar and top tree areas and I'm looking for some inspiration and examples to add one myself. I'm on a budget so feel free to recommend some low-low cost systems, especially if you have one in use. Thanks!

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Watching this one. I have toyed with the idea of getting a go pro or similar. Would have come in handy this past weekend to capture some errant wildlife.

Aced It likes this.
  3. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    I am looking at an 'on-board' front and rear camera set-up, not a helmet mount. There are many options out there and of course, many different pricing levels. Thinking about a Lancertech or even one of the cheaper EBay units. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but I've bought a few things over the years that surprised me in quality and endurance for the price. Hopefully we'll get some feedback in here. :)

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

When I get back home this weekend, I’ll post up pics of both my 5 and 6 Gen mounting.

34468 Randy likes this.
  5. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Cool, thanks! What system(s) did you use?

6. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I'm interested too, thinking about an install and forget about it system. Just recording until you need it.

Aced It likes this.
  7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Ram mount for my 6 Gen. The front was with a perch mount adapter.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry for the long delay. Had a long week and then family obligation today. Anyway, here's what I have on my 6 Gen. The camera is a SooCoo SW20 knock off I got from a website called gearbest.com. However, the SooCoo camera can be found on eBay. Although I think SooCoo stop making them. I couldn't find the one I bought on Gear Best but didn't do an extensive search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOOCOO-S20...271390?hash=item261ae98f1e:g:4OoAAOSwaolcvW35

All the mounting bits are from Ram Mount. Although Ram Mount stuff isn't often cheap, I found it to be some of the most secure and easy to setup, especially with their motorcycle specific hardware, like the perch mount I have for the front camera. The cameras are tied to a power controller and will start recording when the ignition gets switched on. The camera has a "loop" feature that allows it to record a 30 minute loop and will overwrite the file when it reaches the end. This a is great for capturing my commutes. If I use the 6 Gen as a touring machine, I switch the camera to "file" mode, which means it will record 30 minute files until the Micro SD card is full, then stop recording. In this mode, I can capture long rides but usually means I have to empty the SD card nightly.

IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3001.JPG

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As for my 5 Gen I have a new setup using Innovv C5 cameras. These have their own mounts that use double sided tape but prior to that I did have some GoPro cameras that I had mounted, again using Ram Mount stuff.

DSCN1138.JPG

DSCN1136.JPG

10. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you OOTV for your time in putting all that together with photos. I ordered a Lancertech IP67 today. Looking forward to receiving it and I'll provide some install information and review(s).

11. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    I received my Lancertech motorcycle DVR kit last night. Looks very nice and of good quality. Completely waterproof DVR/Monitor, front and rear cameras and wiring harness. There's a handlebar mount for the monitor, but I'll have to figure out another method for now. Also includes a 16G SanDisk microSD card. Front camera can record video in FHD 1920x1080P 30FPS and the rear camera can record video in HD 720P 30FPS. Both of the cameras are made of 6G glasses lens with 140° wide-angle. I'll be installing tonight hopefully. For $90 shipped it's pretty good so far. Product ID X0024H5QG1.
    20190919_195511.jpg 20190919_195526.jpg 20190919_195750.jpg 20190919_200109.jpg 20190919_200118.jpg 20190919_200538.jpg Capture.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    OOTV likes this.
  12. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    7BCA95C6-0179-4015-BD0C-EEA72868078C.jpeg Road hawk ride on my 8th gen also innov k2 system.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

One thing to consider on your camera mounting choices is placement and replacement lenses. GoPro is pretty good with having spare parts available, lenses included but some "off brand" cameras may not have much other than a full camera replacement. For the two camera choices I have, for both my 5&6 gens, I did not see the availability of camera lenses, so if you look at where I put my 6 Gen camera, it sits behind the front windshield, for my 5 Gen, which I use mostly at the track at the moment, I went with a MotoGP style front camera mount and placed it inside the front fairing and use a plexiglass cover. Both setups I am able to protect the camera lens from being hit/broken/scratched from road debris flying up in front of me. I really didn't feel the rear camera was as critical nor as vulnerable so I didn't do anything to add to protect it as much.

Here's my latest setup for the front camera on my 5 Gen, although this is the older camera setup, the new one is essentially mounted in the same manner but the plexiglass attachment looks much cleaner. The setup in the photo was hastily done just before my track time at Laguna Seca, it was a last minute decision to do the fairing cut out and plexiglass cover. For some reason I cannot find photos of the new setup so I guess I need to snap new photos soon.

IMG_3603.JPG

34468 Randy likes this.
  14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It is great to hear from those who have had experience with mounting. The availability of replacement lenses is a big thing to consider. Sometimes the more expensive item is really considerably cheaper. Failing that, the plexiglass is a great idea. It is cheap and easy to work with.

Thank you OOTV. I was expecting great input from you and looks like I was right.

15. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    In group rides I am often in the lead, so I have mounted a GoPro rear facing on my fifth gen as follows using a SS bolt and washers.

20190621_190901.jpg

16. Aced It

Aced It New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's what I ended up with. I installed the Lancertech system this past weekend. Easy install and straight forward. I used a Techmount universal phone mount that I had bought years ago for another motorcycle, but ended up using it in my Suburban bolted to the ashtray (I use another now). It is not a stem mount, but I used a few fingers cut off some 9 mil nitrile gloves and a bit of soapy water to install into the stem tube. Works like a charm, and I didn't need to spend another $50-$60 for a Ram or Techmount system. You'll see in the first and second pics that I used plumbers tape, but it ended up being to slippery. The nitrile material grips nice and tight.

My thoughts on the Lancertech. Well, it's a $90 system. It's not a GoPro, and it's not super high-end, and I knew this before getting into it. But that said, it's not bad either and it beats other EBay/Amazon units at the same price or less. I like the monitor and the control buttons on the side are easy to access and use. The screen is bright with plenty of controls in the menu. The monitor is waterproof, a plus at this price range. The video quality when transferred to my PC is okay, but enough for my purposes. I don't think it's quite 1080p, but it'll do and I have no argument. My rear camera is a bit loose, and it looks like when the bike is still the exhaust pulses are playing havoc on the video too, thus when you view the video below it is very jumpy. I'll remedy that this weekend. That's my buddy on is ZX10; badass bike. I forgot to upload the daytime front videos; I'll get that later too.

The real beef I have with the system is that the rear camera films as a mirror image. That's just dumb, and I know others do this as well, at least at this price level. But it's easily fixed via software on your PC (which I didn't do here). Other than that, I'm pretty pleased. Maybe later I'll upgrade, but my wife is in-between careers and we're budgeting a bit for now.

20190924_163111.jpg 20190924_163133.jpg 20190924_175201.jpg 20190924_175152.jpg 20190924_180019.jpg 20190921_173958.JPG 20190921_173945.JPG

OOTV likes this.