Should I paint my helmet?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Cundalini, May 14, 2010.

1. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't paint a helmet, but I don't remember why, or if it was a valid reason.
    Valid = something I care about or applying to me.
    I say that because I dont have any damage to the helmet, I am not painting it to cover anything up, really.

But I have paint left over that matches my bike, and I would like to paint the helmet to match the bike if its possible.

Anyone know if this is unsafe for some reason?

2. betarace

betarace New Member

you can, but you have to be VERY careful doing it and you MUST remove or completely cover the inner styrofoam, the vapors in the paint will harm the styro. You have to seal up the entire insides so no air gets in. I would leave this to a pro.

/*- posted from chat by chatgenie automagically -*/

3. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    I would be paying the same guy that painted my bike.

LMFAO about the chat genie

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    so I shouldn't leave helmets in my garage while spraying my plastics?

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Never never never Paint a helmet!

[​IMG]

6. Special Ed

Special Ed New Member

Map
    I'm just throwing this out there because I'm not sure, BUT, doesn't having a helmet that matches your bike color (exactly) dangerously close to squid territory?

7. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Hand Painted Motorcycle Helmets :: Savage Designs

How old is the helmet? Remember, helmets have a shelf life. Don't waste your money on a helmet you shouldn't be wearing any longer. The link above is a better (& really pricy) option.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

no , but having a mohawk stuck to it does

9. Rchecks

Rchecks New Member

spikes are so much better then a mohawk

10. Grilldemon

Grilldemon New Member

I'm not an expert, but I believe the solvents used in modern paint will attack the shell and weaken the helmet's integrity. I have always been told you can't do it. Perhaps water base paint (what they use in California because of air quality standards) will work. Best bet is to talk to your painter and maybe ask some of the helmet manufacturers. Another option is vinyl graphics available at your local sign shop. maybe you could design a contrasting decal or 2 to match your bike's paint.

11. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    That is what I was concerned about.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I have just received a PM from Cundalini. The dude is in a panic. He wants to have a little propeller mounted on top of his crash helmet and is concerned about what length drywall screws to use.

Many of the pros who paint bikes and helmets have spray booths at their disposal. These can be the open type with laminar flow or the closed type with temperature and humidity controls. Painting anything using the current automotive type paints without proper personal protection ain't real smart. The more it's done like that, the dumber it gets until somebody is tying on a bib and spooning you Pablum. Not to mention shit in the pants and the paint, fish eyes, runs, bridging errors and the list goes on.

Yep, there are waterbourne paints that are great. The solvents including accelerants, hardners and reducers can degrade some foams. Which one's those are, are unknown. Worse than the solvents in the catalytics are lacquer solvents.

Best bet IMO on a lid is to remove all the padding that can be removed, Close up all vents and exhaust ports and close off the bottom of the helmet with a commercial weight piece of aluminum foil under the normal masking.

The foil can be re-used as pointed out by 4Bear as shielding against cosmic rays or as antennae for watching Oprah at the ton. For the stylish at heart, a good book on origami is real helpful.

13. Grilldemon

Grilldemon New Member

Ya, isocyanates can really screw up the grey matter. I've painted a couple of vehicles and a bike or two. But I had a spray booth I could use, and the proper respirator. I do not condone using automotive quality paint without the proper gear, and a booth helps keep contaminants out of your paint job. If you don't have access, best to pay someone to do it for you.

14. Badbilly

United States
    I agree. I saw an autopsy of a dude who painted without protection and much of a clue. His brain looked like that moose brisket you have on the grille in your avatar..;)

15. Grilldemon

Grilldemon New Member

That there is 100% grade A Canadian Beef after 17 hours of smoking

16. Badbilly

United States
  17. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    It is definitely close to squid like behaviour. I take safety first, and would wear a bright orange helmet with little flag on the top so traffic could see me, if I thought it would be safer.However I think that it is my job to watch traffic instead. They wont see me either way.
    No squid here, just an enthusiast on an extreme budget. I am taking the advice that my helmet is probably over it's shelf life and time to be replaced tho. The leftover paint for my bike shall sit in its can for the inevitable touch up jobs from nicks and scratches and such, rather then painting my helmet to match.

Not offended by the squid reference at all, either. This isn't a tongue in cheek remark, just decided to listen up, and it sounds like a new helmet is in order. It's going on 4 years old and prolly time to change. Would still love one that matched my bike better tho. The whole time I was growing up watching ( and playing with ) race bikes I wanted the nice helmet and bike. I got the bike. Just looking for a cool lid. Not willing to compromise safety for style tho.

Oh well. It is what it is.

update: I have had badbillybilly on ignore list or a while, but someone said he was going to send me a helmet with a propeller on top.?????????????? You are unignored.
    BB PM me for shipping details. If you send it I will post the pics.
    Dont know if I will wear it or not with the drywal screws tho....
    But it will get photographed and posted if ya want ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  18. Badbilly

United States
    Too late dude. I sent it to KC for a review for possible future sales. After all he is the dude that can spot a tire warming up on another bike without using an IR pyrometer, falls over in parking lots and rides better than anyone else he knows.

19. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    By my calculations, adding the proper pitch propeller on top of the helmet can boost your power output if you make sure and hold your head down in the direction of travel. If you forget and hold your head up, you will get pulled right off the bike.

There is some concern about eddy currents in your wake, but not enough to lose sleep over. There is also the added benefit of the increased air flow keeping your R/R cooler.

None of this is proven.

In KC's defense, I can spot a tire fire without a pyrometer from about 1/4 mile away. But thats just me, since my eye surgery I can see all kinds of shit. Ive been thinking maybe I could earn some extra coin by hiring myself out to British Petroleum to look down in the water and tell them that thing is still leaking.

I'm sure that with the proper precautions Cundalini will be able to paint his helmet without making himself autistic. The real question should be what he is going to paint on the helmet.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  20. Badbilly

United States
    I must strongly request that this thread be discontinued. We are being flooded for requests for the new "Time For Beany" skidlids. The R&D department has no actual proof as to the effenciency of the latest props which BTW were gleaned from records from the old Hamilton-Standard Corp in Windsor Locks. We have evidence that these are very efficient. One test rider on our supercharged, 100% nitro fueled and N02 injected 85 VFR, lifted off at 200.008 MPH and we ain't seen the dude since.

What Cundalini will do next can only be devined though meditation and prayer.

Our founder:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/81/1211763277_1.jpg