Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by risgett, Mar 13, 2014.

1. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    First off, I'm not selling my vfr. However, my wife rides with me a lot and she has been hounding me about getting a second bike that is more comfortable for 2up riding(yes, her idea to get a 2nd bike and keep my vfr....my wife is pretty cool). With one daughter in college and one getting ready to start this fall, budget is of course a concern. I have a friend who is older and retired and has lots of bikes at any given time. He has two Honda Pacific Coast PC800's and he said he would sell me either one I wanted for $1500. Now this isn't really my style bike, but for $1500 it is very tempting. He let me ride one and it is super comfy and smooth. You won't win any races with it, but that's not what I would be buying it for. I've done some research and it's a great price as both of his are in really good shape. These bikes kinda have a cult following with some people and seem to be mostly bulletproof. Like I said, it's not something I would normally buy, but for a cheap second bike I'm leaning towards getting it. What do you guys think?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  3. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    A motorcycle is just as good as parts available.

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I would try and find a used ST1300.

5. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    If I had the money, maybe. But I would be looking at $5000 or more for a ST1300 and this is $1500. Don't get me wrong, the ST is much more my style bike. It's just hard to walk away from a comfy 2up tourer for 1500 bucks. Before he offered this PC800 to me, I had been looking at used ST1300, 1100's and FJR's. But all were WAY more money than this PC800. I know you get what you pay for, but I've ridden ST's and FJR's and this PC800 was more comfortable than both(albeit way slower and fuglier) I guess this is why I wanted yalls input....it's a hard decision.

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I would at that price!
    They are an awesome two up machine even if they lack the power we are used to.

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    well, if you can get past the minivan styling. go for it.

8. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    wait, wait, wait! Your wife wants a second bike? Since I know mine doesn't get on this site, I can freely say: She is the greatest women in the world!

Anyway, PC800 - I was looking at one of those way back in the 90's. Seemed like a super-scooter then. I have a feeling it would be very utilitarian to ride. But wife is happier, more fun to GO riding. For $1500.... as long as it is mechanically sound, I really don't see how you could go wrong. Any decent working bike is worth atleast $1500 and you could probably sell it for that if you decided you didn't like it.

9. Gundecker

Gundecker New Member

PC 800: the mc least like to be made I to a cafe or street fighter. Seriously I think you can carry 9 full face helmets in the storage area. A friend of mine moved form California with one. Literally moved all his stuff, clothes, books, furniture in one.
    Strip away the the body work and here's what you will find. [​IMG]
    I say go for it! Red is the faster one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I am agree with Reek :thumb:
    The PC800 is a cool Scoot

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I'd buy it iffi wuz drunk ! :drunk: :party2: If it's not a great example of late mid-century artistic/industrial design, then at least it runs, right ? Never mind how many helmets, dammit, tell me how many 16oz 6-packs it carries.

12. Gundecker

Gundecker New Member

All joking aside, over at ADV.com there is a voluminous thread on the PC. Lots of love for it. It's under the "Road Warriors" forum. Makes me want to find one. Prices are going up.... Better grab it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Yup......:thumb:
    One of the inmate rode all over the country on one of those PC800.
    It is not about the bike but it is the rider and the bike combine.
    People ride around the world on bycicle :jaw:

14. HRCfan1

HRCfan1 New Member

Of course it isn't new technology but for $1500 I don't think you could go wrong. If it's mechanically sound it's a good deal. They are bulletproof. It has a cult following for a reason.

15. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    "The PC800 has no "fussy maintenance needs" All items needed for pre ride checks such as water,or oil is behind two flaps, air filter or sparks plugs are behind two snap on panels. The cam chain pre tensioner, valve lifters and clutch are all hydraulic and the bike is shaft driven. Just fill up with gas and ride. Brigestone tyres are not the standard fitment as stated. Fit Dunlop k555 or Metzlers Marathons and the PC800 will scrape its foot pegs on twisty roads with ease. The front brakes are CBR600 twin disc and the Showa front forks have a anti dive system that works!. Indicators are self cancelling and three rear tail lights and two brake lights give added rear end safety at night.

You cannot hear fairing squeek or much of anything over 40 mph due to normal wind roar but with a taller screen fitted and the almost silent vee twin engine the Honda fitted radio is a boon on long rides. The PC800 was too advanced for its time but is now seen as a fantastic mid sized tourer, fit a top box and it has more luggage capacity than a Goldwing. With its legendary robust, maintenance free, silky smooth motor you can commute, tour, or scratch as the mood takes you. Much miligned and under vaulued the Pacific Coast 800 is a real gem."

16. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    If its in decent shape I would. It sounds as if it would serve your purpose. Heck maybe he'd sell you both for 2500 and you would have a spare. Id go for it.

17. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Quick update.... I picked up the PC last Friday and rode it up to our place in the mountains. He told me to just ride it for a month or two and make sure I liked it before we make the deal. I had only ridden it once years ago, and didn't remember much about it. After riding it all weekend in the mountains 2up with my wife, it left me very underwhelmed. Very underpowered, brakes really sucked(not sure if they were that bad new, or if this one just needs work) and the electrical system seems weak. We are gonna ride it a few more times before I make a final decision, but I don't think I'm gonna wind up buying it. Even my wife commented after the first ride on it "it sure seems slow". LOL :hss: On the plus side, I think I could fit ice and two cases of beer in the trunk without any problem.

18. Hatchet67

Hatchet67 New Member

Map
    Buy it for your wife to ride. I can't ride two up and my wife isn't keen on it either. She let me get a VFR recently and now she can ride the Hawk if we go anywhere together. She sold her CB700sc two years ago. My mother-in-law has a PC and has been out west on some long mile rides. They are not sport bikes for sure. Good luck with it. Price seams great!

19. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Yea, my wife has shown interest in taking the MC beginner training course out at the college. If she does and likes it, I will just buy her a bike and be done with it.

20. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, I wish I leved within days ride from that bike! I would buy it in a heartbeat. Yes it's docile, but I think they are great machines for what they were designed for. Just cruising up and down the Pacific Coast. It wasn't supposed to pump adrenaline, it was to get middle aged people into motorcycles. I think my wife would like one.

The ST1100 & 1300's are awesome Sport Touring bikes as is the FJR1200 & 1300. But they are pretty pricey. If nothing else, this will let your wife ease into motorcycle pillion riding and pave the way for a little more expensive 2nd bike when the time is right for you.