shifting tricks

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by kdfw, May 12, 2007.

1. kdfw

kdfw New Member

Hi,
    MSF course next week but just bought an 06VFR800ABS, been practicing a little around the house, some general qestions:
    1. how do yo find the shifter w/ boots on? Experience & foot position relative to the peg? Can't really feel it unless clunking it up/down.
    2. Same for the rear brake, boots dont' offer tactile feedback.
    3. Should i rest the front of my soles on the pegs, or the arch? If it's the arch, i think i will be touching the brake pedal...

Having driven manual xmissions on cars for many years, I should be able to quickly adjust to bikes, but sure feels different.

Anyway, as a motocycle virgin, looking forward to getting the techniqes down to ride my new toy.

Thanks,
    Pat

2. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    I think mostly you just have to get a feel for it. It should come to you pretty quick. I have size 11's and I put the peg in the arch.

3. bike51

bike51 New Member

i put my foot on the peg at the arch ladies size 8. if you have abs brakes, at the mfs course let them know you have them, they will explain how to stop better. i did my experience course on may 5. there was a gold wing with abs, they were explaining some techniques to him. good luck..

4. kdfw

kdfw New Member

Thanks for the advices. Practice makes perfece. Trying to avoid learning bad habits before the course, but wow, riding is fun!

I guess one more thing, there's no gear indicator except neutral, wish I had an indicator. But I should learn from the engine sound/labor of the engine to figure out the right gear.

Later,
    Pat

5. Miketegra

Miketegra New Member

Get some good motorcycle riding boots...they are designed to provide good feedback on the brake pedal and shift lever. Also, make sure your pedal and lever are properly adjusted to your personal fit. Then, practice a bunch...you will get the hang of it.
    There are some tricks like pre-loading the shifter and only pulling in the clutch about 1/4 of the way....a little more advanced, and they will help you shift smoother, but for now, just the the hang of the movements and actions.
    You can add a gear position indicator if you want....

6. ajmadison

ajmadison New Member

I'm Also New to the 6th Gen

I'm also new to the 6th Gen, though most of my riding experience is in the distant past, I rode for many years before going 'between bikes.' Yes, for shifting on the fly, you only need to squeeze the clutch about 1/4 of the way. I'm a little rusty, so sometimes I end up power shifting and the VFR just takes it in stride. Give it some time on the tactile feedback, after awhile, the pedals will just naturally be where you expect them. The VFR is definitely well thought out in terms of ergos and I found all of the important controls, rear brake, shifter, front brake, clutch, and throttle were right where I wanted them.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Your VFR is a lot of bike to be learning on - see if you can bum some dirt bike time from a buddy to get a feel for everything riding. Take it easy and learn it slow. Repetition is your friend.

Good luck!
    MD

8. MBricker

MBricker New Member

Map
    3. Should i rest the front of my soles on the pegs, or the arch? If it's the arch, i think i will be touching the brake pedal...

On the street I put the pegs under my arches. On the track I was taught you need to put the pegs under the balls of your feet otherwise your feet may drag on the ground.

-Mark

9. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    KD...my advice for you would be to park your new toy and don't ride it until you finish the MSF course. You might drop the bike and then you will find out how expensive the part$ are. Have patience and good luck to you.

10. kdfw

kdfw New Member

Thanks all, took the MSF course and just got my M endorsement this week.:biggrin: Practicing on the side streets in a new development next to the house, zero traffic w/ curves and hills, think I'm getting a hang of shifting and the pedal position.

I may need to adjust the throttle freeplay, seems I need to turn it quite a bit before I get power. Don't know, I'll measure the play against the spec.

Yeah, a 500lb bike is a handful, don't want to dump it so I'm being extra careful about techniques.

Pat