Shifting Issues on 1984 VF500F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by cyborgnation, May 17, 2009.

1. cyborgnation

cyborgnation New Member

Hey, I'm new to this forum, and new to motorcycles (Sort of)

About a week ago I bought an 84 VF500F. I LOVE IT. I am not fairly certain I will own a motorcycle till the day I die.

BUT after a couple of days, and 300 miles on the bike, the shifting has gotten EXTREMELY hard. It start off just kind of hurting my foot to shift, and as of today when the bike is idle'd it's nearly impossible to shift. It seems to get easier when I get moving on it, but finding neutral ends up being a pain in the ass cause I have to push so hard it just clicks right through it. I noticed on the side of the bike it says hydraulic shifter, and it has a little tab that looks like a spot to put grease in. Is this what I need to do to fix this issue? I don't have any manuals with the bike, and i don't want to pump some grease into a hole that's made for something entirely different. THANKS!!

2. volks6000

volks6000 New Member

United States
    Map
    that hole that your talking about is where you would bleed the clutch from. just like the brakes on a car. sounds as though you need a new clutch, but try bleeding it first.

3. cyborgnation

cyborgnation New Member

What All do I need to do that?

I don't have ton of experience working on engines, but I catch on pretty quickly and like to do my own work.

4. volks6000

volks6000 New Member

United States
    Map
    get a maintenance manual or there is a PDF version on here somewhere on this web site and do some reading. if it's the clutch then more reading and buy one ( clutch ). if you have a friend that works on his own bike and you could help ....... talk him into helping you change it out.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    That's right: your clutch is not releasing fully, most likely due to old clutch fluid and air in the system.

Forcing the shift pedal into gear can severly damage the transmission.

YOU really need the Honda service manual if you expect good things from the bike. Read it and study before you do something unfortunate.....and expensive.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  6. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Check this forum

Hey

You can check this out "83 VF750F clutch issue" else just search in the forums and you will find someone with simular or same problem.

Best regards

Gunnar