Seat cowl bolts

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by VFRkat, Nov 1, 2012.

1. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

This is one thing I never understood with my 5th gen. My insurance documents and tools are under the seat. A seat that, with the rear seat cowl installed I cannot remove without tools.

So I had a buddy of mine work on something that could be removed by hand and he has a prototype almost done. It's the same dimensions as the bolt that held the cowl and fairing on but with the end slightly larger and knurled for hand removal.

I'll post a couple pictures as things progress and should have a set by next week.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Here is one before finishing.

2012-11-01 10.17.29.jpg

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Drewl has a quick release thingy that is pretty cool and super easy to use. Maybe ask him to post a pick?

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The problem with the quick release doo-dads is that you have to drill out, then you can screw things in like certain racks and stuff. This solution still leaves you the option.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The notches on OEM "frankenbolts" are such that the bolts can be loosened of tightened with a coin. Voting for Mitt will have you without bolts, a bike or a coin.

6. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

I never had anything in my pockets like a coin to use for these bolts. He just cut the second bolt last night and is getting a knurling tool today. After a bit of practice with that and then a polish I should be set.

7. Badbilly

United States
    No need to practice. Turning the bolts clockwise tightens them. Turning the bolts counter or anti-clockwise loosens them. This may not be the case in OZ or NZ. I will get back to you on that.

I wish I could offer more help on obtaining a coin or two. Maybe set up on a corner near a WalMart with a sign, a bucket. Dress down for effect.

IMO this is more the fault of the plastic money continuum than the fault of you or me. If they would make debit and credit cards out of steel like decent folks, the problems would be solved.

8. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

He's never used a knurling tool before, so as not to make a mess of things he's going to pratice using that.

The righty tighty, lefty loosey thing I've gotten down ;)

I never seem to carry change anymore thanks to plastic. Not sure if that's good or bad but the time I forget to put a quater in my pocket before a ride will be the time I need something uder my seat.

I just thought this would be a neat little project and a handy mod.

9. Badbilly

United States

At least we know you are not a money launderer ;) Pix when ya get em.. I hope a trip to underseatville is not to change out the nefarious R/R.

I'm still running the OEM bolts on the mach 1 91. I had a Ventura rack for awhile that used long shank bolts in the holes to secure the rack. The bolts came with..

Darned near bought a set of spare bolts and some bigass washers to weld on the distal ends to accomodate some of the elastic tiedown straps with hooks. Could be this function could be explored as well and made to look a little cleaner and still be functional..

Cheers..

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I do not have stock franken bolts any more thanks to a high-side due to an unfortunate centrifugal force/traction/gravity challenge that I lost. That being the case, I replaced with allen head bolts, a spacer and a washer which approximates the franken-bolt but holds a tie down much more effectively, BUT also means a coin in my nearly always empty pocket still wouldn't work for me. I just keep an allen wrench set in my tank bag cause I find many of the misc bolts loosen and I don't want to dig out the toolpack every time then perform the miracle of making them all fit in that shrinking bag again.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Sounds like a winner. Did you run it by nocalboy for his blessing, metalurgical analysis and torque setting,color and manufacture of allen wrenches?

12. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Just got the finished product today. Turned out nice I think. Easy to work by hand, still room for bungee cord hook.

What do you think?

2012-11-06 07.03.25.jpg
    2012-11-06 15.18.48.jpg
    2012-11-06 15.18.22.jpg

VFRIRL and blalor like this.
  13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Those look really good and looks as though they will come off quite easily compared to the franken bolts that Honda uses. If I were to raise a possible concern, a bungee cord hook might slide in toward the bodywork. If there was a groove or slot (the franken bolts have a bit of a lip behind the end of the screw designed to hold a tie down hook away from the bodywork) machined into the cowl bolt near the knurled end that would help prevent the bungee cord hook from possibly slipping down the barrel of the cowl bolt and scuffing the body work.

14. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

Good point. The bolts my bike came with were not factory so I wasn't aware of this. Maybe I'll give them back to him for version 2.0 and get the grooves machined in.

15. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    The allen setup is a winner. Its what I do, so I keep an allen wrench in my tankbag. It also gives me a little piece of mind against theft.

Larry

VFRIRL likes this.
  16. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    This is one thing I never understood with my 5th gen. My insurance documents and tools are under the seat. A seat that, with the rear seat cowl installed I cannot remove without tools.

I'd always thought the same thing- that I'd be out somewhere and unable to get those bolts and my seat rack off to get under the seat.. It's pretty cheesy, but what I did was zip-tied a small length of vacuum tubing (about 2") to the hard brake lines that run down next to the steering head.. then I just stored my allen wrench there in case I ever needed it.. also, when you lock the bars over to one side, it made it impossible to get the 'hidden' allen wrench out- even if they did know to look for it..

your custom bolts look nice btw-- once you fab version 2 with a groove I think you'll have a winner :cool:

-ccrunner

17. Badbilly

United States
    Nice work! Having a groove so a bungee hook is secure is a good idea. They are Stainless Steel (??)

I am still trying to figure out how having an allen wrench in a tankbag keeps anyone from nicking the tankbag. ;)

18. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

Guys,
    This is a problem of sorts, I sometimes use a tank bag, sometimes don't.....I use my VFR mostly for 'hot roddin" around ....
    and now and then we get to chat with the local constabulary.....my solution to the documents being under the seat was to
    use a small zip tie on left rear peg bracket with the appropriate sized allen....for my OEM "frankenbolts".....since I did this
    mod I haven't needed to get under the seat til it was time for inspection....
    Rod

19. Badbilly

United States
    If some VFRs have Allenfrankenbolts or OEM is part of some mantra drempt up by friendly dealerships to get us to buy parts we don't even need, I guess I'm just damn lucky I have the old style Frankenbolts I can work with a quarter. Ain't tried a Loonie yet. I have one someplace. It might even be in my tankbag.

Anyway, thankee Jesus for both coins. They sure beat trying to trade beaver pelts for stuff.

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Are you going to make up a few more sets of those bolts? I would be interested if you are.