Sargent seat question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Outboard John, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

I wanted to ask the collective that have dealt with Sargent or have purchased one of their seats your thoughts on my considered purchase. I have an 07 RWB garage queen with most of the usual farkels plus a few, with the exception that I still have the stock seat. So time for a seat right? I can find plenty available for $350 ish with red or black welt but I'm liking the idea of white. So I think my only option is to go direct to the source, I know just bite the bullet and pay! $Chaching$ I have emailed them inquiring about having the seat narrowed in the front and maybe lowered a bit, I'm a little short on inseam at 30". There suggestion was to order the seat in the standard cut and then if I felt the need for the modification I would have 30 days to send it back for a custom cut. Any thoughts.

Thanks for any wisdom you can share.
    John

2. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Go with the recommendation. The stock cut is lower and narrower than OEM. I bought one used with stock cut and it is plenty comfy. My inseam is 32 and I have great footing. I think you will still be comfortable.

Jose

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    +2 Try Sargent seat as delivered. Then send it back if you think you need the custom cut. The Sargent seat doesn't have as much of a downward angle as the stock seat.

4. DfnsMn69

DfnsMn69 New Member

I would add that you should be prepared to modify that brand new $400+ dollar seat to get it to sit correctly on your bike. There have been numerous threads where guys have had to take the dremel to the mounting tabs to get the seat to mount correctly.

5. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    My 5th gen came with a Sargent, and after owning 3 Corbin seats, I'll never own a 4th.
    I have a 30 inch inseam, and I do okay at stoplights... I can't quite get both feet flat, but I'm very comfortable with it.

Minor issues with the tabs, but I just fidget with it a bit when I put the seat on.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    My bike came with one when I bought it, love it. Had a small problem with plastic cowl over passenger section not letting me press directly on seat to release, almost broke key off.

7. captmikejd

captmikejd New Member

United States
    Usually Florida when I am actually in the US
    Have two 6th gen 07's. One came with a Sargent and one with the stock seat. I definitely prefer the Sargent. I'm 5'10" with something like a 30 or 32" inseam and I can sit flat footed nicely on the Sargent seated one. Only almost on the stack seated bike. And yes, the solo seat cowl fits nicely on the Sargent as well.

8. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Thanks for all the comments and insight guys. I will take your advise and the suggestion of Sargent and order the seat in standard form. I had read before that the seat is tight to latch and unlatch and would require some filing, I'm down with that and kind of find that sort of thing satisfying (weird huh). The info that you gave me that surprised me is that the reach to the ground is a little less with the Sargent compared to the stocker. With the Sargent being a bit wider at the butt I thought it would use up more inseam making the reach further so good to know. Thanks again. I'll post up pics of the garage Queen with the new seat when I get it.:vanity:
    John