Saddlesore Iron Butt - Jeff's Challenge

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Jeff_Barrett, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds good. We'll throw those in the fridge at my place some more.

2. jerritt

jerritt New Member

Canada
    Map
    Put me down for one

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Thong or IPA??

4. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Where's the update, story AND pictures? (No, not of the thong!)

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hahah. Completed the IB on Friday.

I'll have an update when I get back. Still on my way back home - overnighting in Sioux City, IA tonight.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

6. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Looking forward to the ride update on this one Jeff.

7. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Did the search and came up with this sad story, really sucks.
    http://www.ironbutt.com/fran/

8. GIGreene

GIGreene New Member

Map
    Congrats on the SS1K. The numbers are growing, but long-distance riders are still a tiny subset of all motorcyclists.

I rode in the 2001, 2003, and 2005 Iron Butt Rallies, so I heard plenty of stories about Fran Crane. What I remember is that she was apparently an absolute beast when it came to riding, and it was a rare individual who could come close to matching her. I'm sorry I missed getting to meet her.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    AM can ride like the wind .... she can outdo me for mileage I think, especially in the heat. I can ride pretty hardcore ... the heat kills me though. Give me cooler temps and I can ride 16 hours+

10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I need to expand my horizons. I will admit, I've never eaten a Slim Jim. I've eaten what they eat while in China (too gross to describe) and survived so I can probably eat a Slim Jim. Life has so many opportunities....; )

11. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Lolzzz :)

Try the better or naturally local beef sticks. If you are going to do it, don't snap into a Slim Jim. ;)

I may not survive a Slim Jim, but
    I'd probably survive the food in China. Teeheehee

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, it was a fantastic trip. I had blast hanging out with AM and ictghost in Wichita. Wish I could have stayed a few days longer but work calls. Thank you so much for the amazing hospitality, I hope to come back and visit again, and I hope you'll come up here one day so I can return the hospitality!

I'm not going to focus so much on the specifics of my trip ... instead, I'll use this to impart some of the things that I learned.

Observations / Tips:

1. I think I made a wise choice deciding to depart at 3AM - it gave me a lot of open road and cooler riding temperatures. Had I encountered the 114*F weather that Kansas had later in the week, I would have been borked and likely not have made it due to heat exhaustion. I would suggest leaving in the wee hours of the morning or else going at a time of year when temperature are cooler depending on your location and destination.

2. It took me a few tanks, but eventually I was able to ride tank to tank. When I stopped for fuel, I made sure I pulled the bike over in the parking lot afterwards and walked around a little to stretch my legs, eat, and hydrate. As AM noted, beefsticks and beef jerky were my staple along with Powerade and Propel. I wasn't really hungry for a real meal until I got very close to my destination.

3. Stand up on your pegs and move around on your seat - especially if going tank to tank like I had. It's important to get the blood flowing and change the location of the pressure points on your seat to prevent a sore arse.

4. Layers / Proper Gear are huge. If it's cold, layer up and peel 'em off as needed. If it's hot, make sure you have a very good ventilating jacket. I lucked out on my way there, but on the way home, I couldn't have been more thankful for the jacket that AM helped me pick out in Wichita at her favourite dealership.

5. Tires - plan ahead and find out who has the tires you want. If they don't have them, order ahead from the dealer of your choice, or find a friend / forum member in the area of your destination to ship them to.

6. Documentation - read it carefully and save every single receipt. Write your mileage on them at every single stop in case you forget. Don't stop collecting them until you reach your final destination. Remember that IBA uses the mileage as shown on Google Maps over your motorcycles ODO due to the typical ODO variances.

Any questions - feel free to hit me.

13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Good advice, thank you. Natural is good. Barfing into a helmet (or out the other end) isn't a good mental picture.......

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sadly, I snapped into a few Slim Jims. The only other options were really blazing hot. Lolz

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Cool stuff here Jeff. When I use to race off-road and/or go camping more, Costco was my friend. Not only could you find great prices on your favorite beverage in bulk, often times you could find prepackaged treats. Although their offerings can change from time to time, you could usually find a bag of snack sized bags of beef jerky. This along with granola bars, trail mix and other road worthy treats was a great place to stock up before a trip or outing. Could save you some money as on the road, buying these items can add up.

As far as item #5 on Jeff's list. I have offered use of my tire changer and wheel balancer to those who might be passing through my area before and is a standing invitation. I even have a tire storage rack now, so provided I'll be at home during your journey, I would be happy to store and help with your tire change needs. Note that it's not limted to just tire changes, if you plan on doing an oil change mid-trip I can accommodate this as well. In fact other than those monumental task I.e. Complete engine tear down, I'm sure I have the tools to help get you back on the road.

I sometimes work from home for days at a time so a weekday visit is possible. All I need is advanced notice and the possibility that I'll be home. My usual fee is some IPA but if you prefer, buying me a nice lunch would fine too!

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Some photos in no particular order ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Nice pics Jeff. Pure maple syrup? from trees? Who would have thunk it!

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Right?????