saddlebag fit / finish

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Roar, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Roar

Roar New Member

When I got my new '14 VFR800FD the other day, I went ahead and bought the hard saddlebags. They came in today, and I went at lunch to have them installed. It took forever; they said they were having trouble with the locks. Finally after 2 hours it was ready. I guess when I got it I was focused on the locks (which are fine) and didn't notice that they don't seem to close all that great. There is an uneven or irregular gap around both of them that seems too wide in most places. Looks like it would leak to me.

So I was wondering if this is just how they are?

I thought about maybe forcing them totally shut and taping them for a few days so they might hold the correct form. Then I thought it might not work and all that would do is squish the seals and make them more likely to leak.

Opinions?

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You bought a new product from them which probably cost a bundle. You paid them to install a product made for your bike, onto your bike and probably paid a bundle for that too. Take close up photos of the area in question and get hold of Honda USA and ask them if this looks proper. If not, then take it back to the dealer and challenge them on it. Do it right or refund you your money.

On new stuff, you should not accept anything less than what is proper. If their employee had difficulties with the install, management should get him properly trained.

Don't force anything. If you go back to them after this, they will say you broke or damaged the product

3. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    :smile-new::triumphant:Ya what Randy said.

4. Roar

Roar New Member

Thanks, Randy. Good advice, of course. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the delay, the lock issue (if it was that) has no relevance here and as I said, the locks are fine. The bags are fully assembled except the locks, so this issue has nothing to do with the technician either.

The quality of the product is really the question. And since posting I've made a curious discovery:

When the boxes are cool they seem fine. That's probably why I didn't notice the issue when they were just installed at the dealer. I did notice later, after the bike had sat in the sun at work all afternoon. But then after being in my garage for a while, they look fine.

I'm thinking they warp a little when exposed to heat. I hate to take them back because I really want them, and I doubt a replacement would be any better. I have a feeling they just didn't account for TN in August when they designed them. I'm going to keep them for a while and see how it goes. This dealer will refund me if I want.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Are they Honda bags or after market. If they were Honda, they should fit well. If they are GIVI, I would think their fit was good too. From China.....was nice knowing ya!

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Do the panniers and truck close nicely when off of the bike?

All my Givi stuff locks and seals great ... it's water tight.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I think the dealer got to this dude.. The bags either fit or they don't. lock and unlock or they don't, and leak or not leak.

If a set of bags factory or otherwise are FUBAR in Tennesee they are gonna be FUBAR anywhere.

8. Roar

Roar New Member

Genuine Honda

9. Roar

Roar New Member

They're the same on or off.

10. Roar

Roar New Member

Lol. Ahem... I'll take it from here guys. Thanks.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Let us know how it works out. BB is right ... they should fit, seal, lock, and look good coming right from the dealer.

12. Badbilly

United States
    BB is (Love this third person stuff) some left of right. Donald Trump is right. He may this dude's Honda Dealer or the second coming of A. Lincoln according to a shitload on the right. Right Eh?

US current events in a nutshell for Canadians.. ;)

Next subject: I was gonna post this in a new thread but...... For those who have the hots to download the freebies Windows 10 from Microsoft might want to wait awhile. Lots of bugs which so far on my stuff has done some serious damage to my graphics programs including Photoshop, Picasa and the software for a very pricy scanner I use. ...and guess what, the waiting time for tech support is like four hours and nobody is talking from MS.

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL ... we Canucks actually keep close tabs on US politics. :)

14. Roar

Roar New Member

Update: I was wrong about the heat thing...has nothing to do with it. Just kind of depends what kind of mood they are in.

I guess my expectations are too high. They ordered another set, opened them in front of me, and...about the same....lol. While we were looking they realized they had a white set in stock (mine are red), we opened them and...about the same.

They offered a refund of course, but I think I'll keep them. Been in the rain once already with no problems.

And for posterity, this thread was about the seal around the two halves at closure. The gap was not "perfect" all the way around. It was not about the locks, the fit on the bike, windows 10 lol, or anything else.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who actually has some. How were yours? How have they held up?

15. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    you'll stop paying so much attention to em after you tip the bike over. my givi cases might as well be frame sliders at this point, lol. They still work though.

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL ... I got some great visuals in my head from that ... :)

17. Badbilly

United States
    Damn furrin spies!

If we somehow figure oot how to deport Trump after splitting his pesos , do you guys want him?

BB once again to the rescue. Save those bags with a set of SOW Bag Sliders. ;)

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Honda hard bag s do make a good back slider-you still need front ones too.

19. Badbilly

United States
    There's not much in the way of a definition for "frontslider". Several for "backslider" that fit ol SOW quite nicely.