Rocky Mountains Trip

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Gator, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Just got back from hiking, climbing and fishing in Colorado with my kids. Went to the Collegiate Range, Maroon Bells, Rocky Mountain National Park and Indian Peaks Wilderness. Saw a ton of adventure bikes in my travels and only a hand full of VFR's. Some nice roads out there.

A few photos from our adventures.

IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0134.jpg IMG_0150.jpg IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0307.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0381.jpg IMG_0548.jpg IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0716.jpg IMG_0720.jpg IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0797.jpg IMG_0820.jpg IMG_0851.jpg IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0878.jpg IMG_0914.jpg IMG_0916.jpg IMG_0946.jpg IMG_1000.jpg IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1056.jpg

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Nice photos!

I love it here. I will say, California roads might be better.

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Awesome photos! Just one thing is missing though .... the Viffer!! ;)

When I visited Columbia and Belize, whole families of 5 fit on the bike. :p

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    There are some great roads in California especially paved ones. Seem to be more trail riding roads in Colorado.

The night before we climbed Longs peak we had a wind storm, 60-70+ winds. Kept us awake all night and made climbing the next day a frighting and long day. Clear as a bell though and did not have to worry about lightening.

5. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Great pictures! Would love to be fishing in some of those lakes. I agree with Jeff, where was the viffer? lol

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I hate that shit.

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I hate that shit.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Great photos. Must have been a hike of a lifetime. Wished I was younger and more able bodied so I could learn to do some mountain hiking. I have started some but nothing like that.

I bet that water was just bichen cold. Those shelters you pitched your tents in. I guess they were already there and everyone adds a few rocks to keep them in shape for the next hiker who comes along?

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah camps up high in bolder fields often have little rock walls built. They often get wrecked in the winter and spring melt off of all the snow they get. But every season they get rebuilt by those wanting a little wind protection. We were getting near hurricane force gusts.

As far as hiking goes you could definitely do some. Start in early spring taking walks after dinner and work your way up to hour long walks. When summer rolls around find easy hikes in the area your going and try short ones with small elevation gains and see how you feel. Once you have a few hikes under your belt you can read guide books and start planning hikes that suite you. I have detailed files of most of the mountain ranges in North America. I have been hiking and climbing for almost 40 years and love sharing intell with those inclined to have fun outdoors.

The water in most of the high alpine lakes and streams is very cold. I lost feeling in my hands and feet fishing one lake. Took about half an hour of hiking to get feeling back. I was sure that I was only 1 cast away from a nice trout...... Did not catch one in that lake though. lol But I did catch 20 nice little Brook trout on fly in other lakes and streams.

10. KentuckyThunder

KentuckyThunder New Member

United States
    Map
    Unbelievable photos, thanks for sharing. The sky is crazy deep blue there, something we don't often get in the mid-south. Looks like a fun trip, I'm a little jealous and may have to plan a camping/hiking trip again soon.

11. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    No San Juan skyway in Cali. However, sport bike bliss is ca-190 between springville and quaking aspen campground. Zoom in on Google maps and follow that route.

12. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Randy,
    I talked with a guy just this week on a rocky hike up the foothills. He is 84 years old and still hitting the trails.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I know better but that does not prevent me from being a dumb ass. Ever time I come back from a climbing trip at high altitude I try to make sure that I get in some sort of cardio workout within the first few days of getting home. If I do it immediately I can tell I have an abundance of red blood cells as at sea level my stamina is very good. But after a few days the extra red blood cells start to die off (I think your liver takes care of the disposal). If I go for a week of sitting on my ass after altitude it seems that more red blood cells than necessary die off. I went mountain biking at a decent clip yesterday and felt like I was at 14,000' again. It sucked so bad I thought I was going to pass out a few times.

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I am afraid my previous occupation was not good to me health wise. I haven't broken as many bones as evil K but have a good start that way and try to keep that at bay. This 84 year old guy has probably been hiking most days of his life. I am envious of people like him but to accomplish a trip like Gator just made at my stage would be a feat for sure.

None the less. Soon as I get home from RVing, I will be gradually expanding my hikes with the goal of doing Mount Cheam he in the Chilliwack area. It is a popular climb that I should be able to accomplish this fall sometime. I just have to make sure I give myself enough time and energy to get down.

With the many Search and Rescue missions I had coordinated in the past, I found that the biggest mistake hikers make when it comes to day hikes on mountain trails, is they don't give themselves enough time to get down before dark, are ill equipped and will plow on in the dark, one, right off a cliff. We spent two full days looking for him even though we knew the trail he took. S & R Tehs found him when they were hanging their hammocks over a cliff to bunk down for the night. Shawn their lights down, and there he was....way the fuck down there, deader than the rocks he landed on.

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I remember seeing Mount Cheam on maps from my time in the northern North Cascades. The north end of the range in Washington and Canada are my favorite. I have probably seen it from the top of Mt Shuksan and Baker as you can gaze into Canada easily. I think it is the mountain to the left of America and Canada peaks while viewed from the top of Shuksan. The view from the top of Cheam of the Frazier valley, the Chilliwack and the Cascades in the US must be very impressive. I read this http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/mount-cheam/ and it looks to be a beautiful hike. Though you need a 4 wheel drive truck to get to the trail head now. Nice goal to have.

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I don't think I would take a Corvette up there but last time I drove up to the trail head, you could have done it in a sedan. I called in a helicopter to take out an injured hiker at the Spoon Lake just a couple miles along the trail from the parking lot. It was a miserable cold rainy day. I had my gear in the patrol car (Suburban) parked about 2 miles away so was not dressed for the constantly changing weather up there. Was nice when the helicopter arrived and I could take some warm shelter for a half hour or so waiting for the S & R techs to bring the injured party down in a gurney.

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I hear you about the road. I have been known to take 2 wheeled vehicles past where the Jeeps stopped and parked. Knowing how to drive is important and sheer velocity will make it through sometimes. lol The weather up your way is a big factor. Been snowed on in August there more than once.

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    We spend all this time trying to convince you Yanks we do not live in igloos and it does not snow year round and you say something like that?:yousuck::asshole: But ya. It can be clear and warm in Chilliwack, but go 30 miles east up Chilliwack Lake Rd to Chilliwack lake, and it can be a totally different story. I always carried a hockey bag with assorted clothing when I paroled out that way. Then they transferred me back to the city. Staffing branch are assholes everywhere.

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    lol, yeah go up a few thousand feet and a normal rain shower can be snow. Or meters as you guys from the great white north say. I have spent a lot of time in the Canadian Rockies too. I think the best hiking in all of North America is from Glacier National in Montana up through the Canadian Rockies.

20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Well Gator. I hiked up Elk Mountain yesterday. About 4 - 5 km in linear direction and about 550 meters in elevation from where we parked. The trips down was an adventure. My knees and hips were like rubber and kept wanting to fold underneath me. A couple stumbles on the slippery path and a fall all of which I was able to shake off, and finally we made it down safe and sound. I am feeling pretty sore today. But actually quite proud of myself for accomplishing this with the history of injury and sustaining disabilities I have still today. The say (whoever the fuck they are) that the second day is the worst. I think I will go get put into a drug induced coma tomorrow for a few days. Cheam wont happen this year.

IMGP1865.jpg
    Starting point at truck. I still look like a living human being.

IMGP1866.jpg
    About 1 km into the hike. Had I known I could have driven and parked here, and known what I would have flet like coming down, this would have been our starting point.

IMGP1867.jpg
    This is about 2 km into the hike. I tried to focus the camera on a level elevation to give an indication of the steepness of the terrain. Showing is the actual path we took. By time I reached this point coming down, my knees and hips were wobbling all over the damned place

IMGP1873.jpg
    A view from the look-out we were targeting. It was the lower of the two look outs, the top one being another hour hike and steeper terrain. At this point, we had hiked 3 hours, about 4.5 km and 550 meters up.