Road advice needed for NM.

Discussion in 'USA - Southwest' started by shards, Apr 5, 2007.

1. shards

shards New Member

I am arriving from NZ in May for a 11 day trip in the SW. I have been three times before so I am pretty well up with which roads to ride but need some RELIABLE info on RT128 between Cuba and RT4 (between Jemez and Los Alamos). Specifically, is the road tar-sealed all the way, and some general idea of the surface and width. We are proficient riders on sport-touring bikes. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jimwood

jimwood New Member

Map
    The road is unpaved east of Cuba till you get to Fenton Lake. The road is paved east of there. If the weather has been dry the road is pretty good although it may be washboard at times. You could just go to San Ysidro and ride up NM4 which is all paved. I ride this road often. You can see the Jemez Peublo and stop at a popular bar for bikers in Jemez Springs or stop a soak in the hot springs a few miles north of JS. The ride from Jemez Springs to Los Alamos is very nice but you need to stay alert on the steep decent into los Alamos. On NM4 between JS and LA you will see this huge bowl more than a mile across that looks like a large meadow. This is the mouth of an inactive volcano. Quite impressive.

3. shards

shards New Member

Thanks Jimwood. I had already been told that the road is unpaved and decided against riding it. I know the rest of the area very well - this will be my third time there and I still look forward to riding it more than anywhere else I know.