Rip Vfr

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by powerslave, Aug 29, 2009.

1. powerslave

powerslave New Member

Map
    It's a sad chapter in my riding career. My beloved 2002 VFR met it's doom on Aug 5th in a crash in Wyoming.
    It was a beautiful sharp right corner, I had the bike leaned WAY over...I was hanging off like a monkey...If I had track pants on, I'd have been dragging a knee slider.
    I have done several track days with this bike...I should have known better than to treat the public highway like a race track..but WTF!!!
    Anyway.....mid-corner, right at the apex, I hit a cattle grate. Lost grip on the polished steel rails, had to stand 'er up to avoid low-siding and now my line is shot!!!
    Carrying WAY too much speed to allow for this road hazard I had no choice but to lay on the binders and scrub off as much speed as possible as I crossed the double yellow line, hit the marbles on the shoulder and plastered the concrete barrier...OUCH!!!
    I flew over the concrete guard rail but survived with relatively minor injuries due to my full riding gear.
    I was actually able to do some road side repairs to myself and the bike and with the help of my Uncle and Cousin rode the bike all the way home!!!
    My next bike is gonna be a Triumph sprint st so I have no need for all the VFR stuff I have collected over the years.

Anyhooo....I'm sadly selling off my VFR accesories so check out the classifieds!!!

Attached Files:

2. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

We don't have many cattle grates around here but I can imagine coming up on one of them. But there can be lots of crap on the roads that would cause the same terror. Glad you got away not too hurt. Looks like the bike did not fare so well.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident bud, however, I am glad to hear that you made it out ok. As the old adage goes, that is the important part. I am sure that you will have folks picking up your accessories like vultures to a day old carcass.

Oh, and I wish you luck with your new bike, hopefully you will find time to stick around here and there. Just because you switch doesn't mean you have to bail.

Later bro,

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    tsk tsk... I'll wag the proverbial finger at you for doin what you already know you shouldn't have... We all have done it and some of us have gotten lucky more than once. I suppose it'll get it us all eventually if we push it enough. Let us know what you think of the triumph. I have looked at them a couple times and they seem like good bikes, but it seems I heard the fit/finish weren't quite up to the VFR. It'd be good to hear from a former VFR rider how they compare.

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Dang, dude. Too many peeps losing bikes lately.
    Cattle guards suck the animals they guard. We have them all over the place here and they ruin the pace of many a fine road.

Good luck with your next ride.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ouch! Hey, I know that corner was on it this last month, that 14a is one of the best roads this country has to offer, but yea man there at the end I was thinking what it would be like if I saw a rider coming the other way and it was in my lane not good. sorry to hear, but glad you're ok,
    Hmm ST you say, you should wait for the VFR1200?? No. yes stick around be good to hear what you have to say about the Triumph.

7. powerslave

powerslave New Member

Map
    Yes, I might just lurk around in the weeds for the VFR 1200!!
    I absolutely loved my VFR and would happily get another one but I have a bit of a "wandering eye" and am always eager to try something new!
    Right now the Triumph perks my intrest.

-And yes, that is hwy 14a...if any of y'all need a headlight assembly or a left side mirror, or a broken windshield,or some busted fairing pieces, or my torn-up jeans, just hop over the concrete barrier and help yourselves!!!!

8. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    You're alive~

but if you're gonna die, die with your...you know the rest :cool:

9. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Bummer. I've hit a few of those in the fog, and they do get one's attention.

But as it's already been pointed out, you are here and typing. BTW, I test rode an '06 ST. Wonderful engine, and handles well.

10. powerslave

powerslave New Member

Map
    Yes!!!
    I had my boots on!!!!