Ride Report - Chicago to Iowa to Wisconsin (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Britt, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Britt

Britt New Member

With summer winding down, I found myself with a totally free Saturday so I figured I would make a 400 mile trip out of it. I really didn't have a specific route in mind, but I knew I wanted to blast west so that I would have some time to ride along the Mississippi river on the Iowa side.

Here is the route that I ended up taking:
    from:Westmont, IL 60559 to:S 1st Ave/IL-40/IL-88 @41.765553, -89.689426 to:US-67 @41.840409, -90.188230 to:42.047253,-90.195007 to:US-151 N/US-61 N @42.515668, -90.645702 to:CR-W @42.535595, -90.333681 to:IL-78 N/W Main St @42.495980, -89.987950 to:N

I started out at 6am, with the temperature at 54 degrees.
    [​IMG]

I got on I-88 and headed west, where I encountered some very interesting fog and/or low lying clouds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got off I-88 at Rt 30 exit for Rock Falls, IL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took 30 west towards Clinton, IA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Traffic was almost non-existant to I was riding over the Mississippi before I knew it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In Clinton, I got on 67 and headed North. The road was great - rolling hills and sweeping curves, and not much traffic to speak of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up on 52 going North and it continued to be just as nice of a road. Approaching Bellevue, I started noticing more rock formations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Closer to downtown Bellevue, there is a dam on the river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Riding north from Bellevue, there are some good views of the river.
    [​IMG]

I continued north into Dubuque so that I could cross east over the river
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is 61/151 going east over the river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was now in Wisconsin and had done 200 miles. I filled the tank and got on 11 heading east. I ran into a group of dinosaurs that must have gone unnoticed by the rest of us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then got on W heading east (Wisconsin has these funny roads named with single letters). W is a very fun road where I let my bike stretch its legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I rode through New Diggings and stopped for a minute to stretch in front of this "saloon".
    [​IMG]

I went further west on W and got on 78 and crossed back into my home state.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heading south I rode through Warren, IL.
    [​IMG]

I took a small detour to ride through Apple Canyon State Park. I didn't get to see the canyon (or any apples) but the road through the park is fun.
    [​IMG]

I took 78 south to 20 and headed east back towards home. I ended up following a motorcycle cop for a while before he turned off.
    [​IMG]

I pulled into my driveway with 403 miles showing on my odometer (slightly more than the above route shows due to a couple of detours). I felt surprisingly good when I got off my bike. I wore Bike brand bicycle shorts under my jeans, and used my beaded seat cover that I've had for years. The combination did wonders!
    [​IMG]

I also used my Throttle Rocker, however it kept slowly slipping for some reason. I may try to rough up the inside of it to give it some more traction against my grip.
    [​IMG]

This was my favorite ride of the summer. Lots of great riding, minimal traffic, and temps cool enough that I was 100% comfortable in all my gear. Of course my VFR ran like a dream for all of the 400 miles that I covered!

2. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    What a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to post.

3. zilla

zilla New Member

I wish I would have seen this sooner. You rode a lot of the roads I have this summer. Warren isn't too far from where I live. And W is a fun road to ride.

4. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    you passed not too far away from my stoping grounds. If you make the trip again, drop a line & I'll ride some of it with ya.
    Or, if you do it again, from Burlington, up 61 (North) there is another route, 99, which seems to be more abandoned & more twisties.