Ride Height with Daugherty Shock

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Motographer, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    Looking for help from anyone who's installed Jamie's upgraded F4i shock for the 6th-gen. I installed mine this past weekend, following the service manual where applicable, and everything bolted up as it should, except for the fact that the swingarm is now hanging lower to the point where the rear wheel touches the ground on the center stand. I e-mailed Jamie about it and from what he told me, I have things assembled so that the shock is the same length as stock. Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong or how to solve it?

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't necessarily think anything is wrong, in fact, he may have done you a huge favor. The VFR handles SO much better with a higher or shimmed rear shock. Take it for a ride and see how much better it handles. Of course, caution at first, but I have a feeling that you will be singing praises once you get used to it. Quicker turn in, lighter on it's feet. I raised my forks in the triples and shimmed my rear shock and my bike feels like it's 100 pounds lighter!!!

3. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    You did fine actually, I had the similar experience when installing the JD shock onto mine. Like Lint said the handling will improve and as long as you're still able to get the rear wheel off on the center stand who cares?

4. Greeneggs

Greeneggs New Member

United States
    Map
    I put Jamie's rear shock on last fall. As everyone said the handling is fantastic. But I didn't notice any difference in the rear wheel height on the center stand. It may be a little lower but it is still off the ground by at least 1.5". I just can't remember how high it was before I installed it. It wouldn't matter, it's so good there is no going back.

Sam

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    You can do a quick check of the overall shock length (eye to eye) of the old and new shocks; sounds like Jamie has supplied the new shock with the standard length, so there should be no change to the rear wheel position. The only things that might be off would be the top clevis mount which should be hard up against the frame spar, or maybe the triangle links are the wrong way around?

6. jswisc

jswisc New Member

Ditto on all the comments above. I put one of Jamie's shocks on a few months ago. Once I rode it for a few weeks I shimmed it. At first, too much as the centerstand wouldn't get the tire off the ground. Put half as much thickness of shim and all was good, but just barely. Bike turns in much better.