reviews on shinko advance sport radial 005

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by hurst96vfr, Feb 4, 2008.

1. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

they are so reasonably priced , does anyone have any reviews on these rubbers please
    thanks

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have never heard anything good about a shink other than the nickname being stinko. i have never had one, though, so my .02 ain't worth much...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

No nice way to say this, so I'll just say it.

I don't buy motorcycle tires (or car/truck) from the discount rack. If you do, I would cease the practice immediately. I understand fully the desire to save money. The problem is, tires are arguably the single most important thing on a bike so why on earth would you want to save a few $$$ by go el-cheapo on tires?

Go with Continental Road Attacks or Metzeler M3. I have the Conti's with nearly 3000 on them. I can just barely tell any wear on them. Including mounting & such, they set me back $300. I've written it before & hear it is again, the Continental Road Attack should be the OEM tire for the VFR. They are well worth every penny.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

4. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

5. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

It seems everyone who has tried them likes them a lot, so for the price I think I will give them a go and I will keep everyone updated on my experience with them, handling , wear etc... also I heard they are made with the same materials as yokohama.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Did know one VFRer who due to budget problems tried them but they changed back to Pilot Powers after only 1000 miles so the Shinco's ended up as false economy.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, do that. by all means if it turns out they are just getting a bad rap cause they are bargain priced let us know your opinion. by the same token, if it turns out they are crap, don't be ashamed that you gave them a shot. Just let other people know so that maybe they learn from your experience one way or the other...

8. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

OK I talked to the guys at tires unlimited to get to the bottom of the shinko-yokohama connection , and what I found out is that shinko sided with yokohama and obtained their tread molds as well as the same materials used , shinko's mainly sell online so thats one of the main reasons they can be sold as cheap as they are , they dont have many name brand tire guys that have to jack up the prices to pay advertising as well as big store costs etc.. they are an up and coming tire brand

I am getting the 006 podiom's which have great reviews , delivered to my door for $171.44 from tires unlimited so $230.00 for front and rear mounted and balanced I should have them by the end of this week and i'll keep this post updated

9. rngdng

rngdng New Member

My buddy (the bike dealer) recommended the Shinko 003 Stealth model. He runs them on his ZX12, and loves them. This one:

http://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/ShinkoStealth.aspx

I bought a set and mounted them, but haven't been able to do a decent ride yet. They are made in a Korean factory owned my Continental, according to my buddy's distributor. FWIW.

Lane

10. XRayHound

XRayHound New Member

I find most people who ride a bike with a number higher than 10 in its name don't typically give good tire recommendations; the bikes take such wide tires and turn so poorly they just get something with adequate straight ahead traction, which is... darn near anything.

$0.02, $0.01 change.

11. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

so far I am enjoying these shinko's they are handling very good , feels so much better than those michellin's did , going out today to really break them in :)

12. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

so for the front and rear shinko podium 006 , m&b, my total out of pocket expense $240.00 and with the way they are riding so far puts a smile on my face

13. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Not a bad price! $240.00

BUT I have to side with KC-10 on this matter.
    After a long and grueling battle to decide which skins to put on my bike this year, I finally went with the Conti Road Attacks...by far the best out there for the VFR.
    DONT GO CHEAP ON TIRES, BUT IF YOU CAN FIND THE GOOD TIRES FOR CHEAP GET THEM!

And not to mention I got both for $226.90 shipped to my door.
    Front 120/70 17
    Rear 180/55 17
    Total: $226.90 Conti Road Attack

RIDE DIRECT
    TOLL FREE 1-866-395-1380
    OUTSIDE USA 606-285-9813

14. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

My total was $140 to my door for the raven 005 front and 009 rear. I mounted them myself so I only had to pay $10 extra to get them balanced.

I've been REAL happy so far, and that goes beyond getting a good price. I've got about 2k miles on them so far. Handling has been great and it's looking like they're going to wear real well. I've heard they give real good mileage so I'm expecting these to last almost a full season. Keep in mind, it's a year-round commuter so I tend to put 10k-12k miles on it a year.

15. hurst96vfr

hurst96vfr New Member

I have finally got them broken in and they are handling awesome , i love these tires!!and grip at about every lean angle is great :)

16. Fox Fader

Fox Fader New Member

I put a set of the 005's on my Katana and the stick like glue.

Just ordered some Podiums for my Futura for a little longer life.

Just cause it costs more dosen't mean it's better. Got mine from ebay. $166 drive out. Paid $20 more for the 005's a few weeks ago.

17. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
  18. rabbipal

rabbipal New Member

I just ordered a pair of the 005's off ebay. I have looked thru' every post on the internet and can only find good things about the Shinkos, both from professionals that have tried them on the track (reviewed by Motorcycle magazine) as well as owners of them. Every negative review I found was someone who never owned them, but had a friend who's uncle's, cousin's, brother-in-laws, nephews, step father's neighbor had tried them on but didn't like them. I agree that cheaper isnt better but neither is more expensive. So easily we forget that the Bridgestone/Firestone fiasco (you all know the one were they made their tires with less than satisfactory rubber to save a few bucks and resulted in tire blowouts and people dying and them - and Ford - being sued for hundreds of millions) a few years ago were tires and rubber made right here in the good old US of A. The same tires made overseas were made to spec with nary an issue. I hope I don't regret the purchase (and may end up at the pearly gates or that place down under, kicking myself), but for the 100+ bucks I saved, and with the reviews I read, I think I like my chances.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  19. Fox Fader

Fox Fader New Member

I now have 1600+ (they still look really good) miles on the Podiums and I still like them. They turn in very well and I will buy more when these run out.

20. rabbipal

rabbipal New Member

Shinko review

I have had the tires on for the past week. My daily commute consists of about 10 minutes (@ 75 mph speed limit that we naturally go a lot higher on) on the Interstate, and about 10 minutes of curvy side roads to and from work (not counting traffic). I have to be honest here. These tires are AWESOME!!!! I dont know if the Dunlop 208's they replaced were too old (at 4000 miles) *OR* if these tires are just new, but HOLY SMOKES, what a difference, especially in the corners. Maybe Yokohama compounds/rubber/tread made at a continental factory in Korea is better than Dunlop rubber made at a factory in Buffalo, NY ;-). I am finding myself taking corners a lot faster than I was. I think its the rounded pattern that makes it fall so nicely/smoothly into them. I cant wait for a free weekend so I can take it up into the mountains. If it continues to impress like this, my next set will be Shinko as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008