Review: Shoei RF-1100 Firestrike

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by captmarc, Jul 29, 2010.

1. captmarc

captmarc New Member

Just picked up one of these for $375 shipped from hjcoutlet1 on ebay. I had to go back and forth a few times to get that price, but I think that is as good as it gets. It was brand new in box.

A little more black than I thought it would be, but the yellow highlights look nice and not too squiddy.

What I love about this helmet:
    1. Field of View, the best I have ever put on. Head checks are twice as fast with far less movement as with my Shark RSK, which is a huge improvement in safety.

2. 5 head sizes, so it really feels custom. Fits great.

3. Visor, has a nice just barely open feature to defog.

4. Airflow, perfect. It's loud inside but the air flows all around your head keeping it nice and cool. With earplugs you can hear all the things you are supposed to.

Don't like:
    1. When the visor is clicked open one or two clicks open and you nail it, it slams shut (the first time it scared the crap out of me). Might be an adjustment there somewhere, but it is startling to say the least.

Overall: The best helmet I have ever owned, without a doubt. If you want one, don't pay retail, have hjcoutlet1 and ridersdiscount battle it out for best price.

2. captmarc

captmarc New Member

BTW, both of those sellers are on ebay...

3. Captain Happy

Captain Happy New Member

My wife bought an RF1100 Monolith last month for 359.00. I believe it was from competition accessories. But, since I just checked their "best price" they are now 389.00. Must of been some kind of introductory deal!

I'd like to get one myself, but all the graphics are, in my opinion. hokey/ugly. Except the new X12, but those are retardedly expensive. The wife seems to like hers though.

4. captmarc

captmarc New Member

Yeah, graphics are lacking somewhat, but interestingly enough, the firestrike is somewhat subdued, which I like. It looks a lot better in person, mostly black with some yellow highlights. Not too squiddy. YMMV

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have been happy with mine, and I bought it from a local (albeit chain type) store for pretty much the same price. I got some kind of intro discount or something. The noise when you shut it is just the seal forming I think. Mine still does it after several thousand miles and who knows how many hours. I like the matte finish and contrary to what I was told by some people, it has been very easy to keep pretty clean. AAMOF it still looks pretty new. I do notice that with the snap out liners, though, one of the ones along the back of the helmet comes unsnapped frequently when I take my helmet off. Yeah, here's the review: http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/28634-vfrworld-shoei-rf-1100-review.html Looks like I have had it over 6 months now. Good helmet, but you definitely pay for it.

6. ECHO 800

ECHO 800 New Member

I've had my RF-1100 since May and have not once had this problem. I've not made any adjustments with the visor since new either. I read you post and tried to recreate :cool: this issue without success (thankfully). I even sat up high above the windscreen at over 110mph and it wouldn't move.

I wonder what can be adjusted to correct this?

7. captmarc

captmarc New Member

me too, I don't normally ride with it like that, I like the setting with the tab pushed forward to defog, lets in a little more air. The more I ride with this helmet, the more I like it. It breaks in nicely and I don't even notice I am wearing it (exactly what you want in a helmet I think). Still, something must be loose, maybe I will play with it and see what I can break, lol..

8. VFRMike

VFRMike New Member

United States
    Map
    I've had my RF-1100 for about a week (and 400+ miles) and really like it too. I had the same exact experience with the shield slamming shut from just opened a notch or two to fully closed on its own when accelarating. I about soiled my pants as it's REALLY loud! Nice helmet though with great venting. My RF-800 served me well for about a decade so the move to the RF-1100 seemed natural.

VFRMike.