replacing bent fork tubes

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by levish, Jun 14, 2020.

1. levish

levish New Member

United States
    does anyone happen to have a source for replacing fork tubes for the 5th gen VFR in the US? In general are 41mm fork tubes interchangeable? I have a feeling mine are bent as I can't get alignment back in spec with the process in the manual.

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    You could get yourself a big known flat surface, remove the tubes and check for bent.... suspension places can straighten minor stuff, or you may even be able to do that yourself..... have to wonder how they'd get bent without some sort of collision. Anyway, why not check before spending money?

3. levish

levish New Member

United States
    For sure I'm going to do a check before I order, was preparing since that would be next step after checking fork tubes and wanted to see if there was a good source since the OEM Fork Pipes aren't being sold anymore.

I tried the process for "wheel installation" in the service manual with just one side of the axle pinch bolts loose and the axle bolt and pumping brake - didn't help the wheel being off center
    I tried both sides of the pinch bolts loose + axle bolt, didn't help
    then I tried the lower clamp pinch bolts loosened in addition, didn't help
    then i tried the uppers as well and at that point I can wiggle things into place well but as soon as I tighten stuff up it went no longer centered.

4. jfrahm

jfrahm New Member

United States
    What's not lining up? My 2000's front wheel is within 1mm of centered between the fork legs and the brakes don't drag, that's as far as I went with it.

5. levish

levish New Member

United States
    I straightened the handlebars and ran string between the front tire and the rear. The back portion of the front tire is off by 1cm when the handlebars are straight. The front tire is pointing to the left rather than being on center.