Replacing a sheared off lug bolt - I'm stuck on the axle nut

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by SouthTexasRich, Jul 26, 2015.

1. SouthTexasRich

SouthTexasRich New Member

Hey folks:

OK, so the basics: 2007 6th Gen, 47,000 miles. I recently replaced the rear tire. Shortly thereafter I noticed that I was missing a lug nut. Upon closer inspection I come to find out the actual lug BOLT had sheared off. I have no idea what actually happened but I suspect that I over-torqued it. Anyway, now I'm having to fix it.

I removed the rear wheel to see how it's put together back there, and to see how to get at the lug bolt. I removed the nuts and bolts that connect the brake disc to the axle. This didn't do anything to help me get at the lug bolts.

I decided I needed to remove the entire axle. So I began working on the axle nut, but that seems to have been placed by the hand of the almighty, it's on so tight. So, two questions:

1) Am I correct in that I have to remove the axle?

2) If so, any tips on removing the axle nut?

Any other help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    See no torque hammers required. ....
    kidding of course. ...someone will chimp in to help....good luck, never heard of this happening.

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    the axle nut toque is gonna be 100+ ft lbs. A 3/4 socket set with huge breaker would probably be your friend. The lugs are splined and pressed through the axle hub. So to install a new you'd have to remove anything blocking the hub.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Axle nut is 148 lb ft....easy to remove, once you have the right tools. 3/4" will get it done.

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I had one he'll of a job undoing my axle nut. I heated it with a paint stripping hot air gun then she finally cracked.Breaker bar with a short length of scaffolding tube was needed.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The nut on the rear hub is huge, like 42mm. I use the socket that I had from working on Triumphs, it works perfect, your gona have to remove your rear caliper too btw. The hub will slide out (proper American spelling) on the opposite side of the hub/sprocket along with the disk. From there, you may have to bring it to a machine shop to have old one pressed out and new one pressed in. Keep us posted

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The big hub nut is "staked" to the axle. That means a small section of the nut is pressed into a slot on the axle so it can't come loose. You need to prise that out with a small screwdriver. No need to replace the nut, you can re-stake it on installation.

I tried the breaker bar method but the nut wouldn't shift, so I visited my friendly Honda dealer for some adult help. Five seconds with an air impact wrench and off it came, no fuss. However...I have been unable to extract the axle, as I suspect it is a little corroded in place, and I have heard other's comment that congealed grease stops the axle slipping out easily. As the rear hub feels OK for now I decided I didn't need to clean and grease the bearing after all...

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I have replacement bearings and dust seals for the rear hub but decided against doing it as you have to press stuff out and its a whole drama for nothing. The reason i have experienc taking the rear axle out is that the new/old/used bike i bought had a super rusted out rotor. So, the only answer was to get a replacement. Yes, nut is staked, take your favorite hammer and punch and a few love taos solve it. You need to get a compressor, i zapped mine off and used a torque measuring device to reinstall. :mech: cheers, you must have shite on the roads in the winter

9. Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The rear axle nut is 46mm