Removing & Installing Side Cowls on 8th Gen

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Allyance, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I had the pleasure of trying to undo a stuck oil filter today, and ended up removing both lower and upper side cowls (fairings).

I traded up from an 2003 and was pretty good at taking them off and on. The good news with the 2014: No more well nuts!!

No real bad news other than there are three different fat head bolts that hold everything on.

On the left lower panel, there are 3 normal bolts (same as 2003 which were all the same) and 1 with a smaller shoulder which goes in the front hole. Same for the right, except there are only 2 normal bolts. To remove panel take out bolts and 1 plastic fastener Honda's favorite, then slide panel towards back.

On the upper panels, the two bolts on the top rear, next to the gas tank have longer shoulders and smaller threads, the other top bolts are normal but black. Lots of plastic fasteners inside front and on the belly (different). Still trying to sort out where all the different bolts go, because I assumed they were all the same except color. Temps in the 40's and getting dark, will finish tomorrow.

Point being, not hard to get off and on, just document where each type bolt goes. Top panel swings out an is hooked in the front at two points. Top panel consists of 2 red pieces and one black piece, and comes off as one piece. Don't be fooled by seam, doesn't come apart there. Don't force anything, it pops off and on easily.

See thread what did you do to your vfr today? for details on oil change.

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for exploring this for us. Like your previous bike, I have a 6th Gen and can take the fairing off in my sleep. I have found that on the lowers, I have never reused the plastic clips. They are a pain to remove and don't seem to serve any real purpose. I have never had a problem with just using the bolts to secure things.

3. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    You must be doing something wrong with those clips. Once you know the correct technique, they are a piece of cake. And they actually do hold parts together. To remove them, you push the center in until it clicks and slide it the whole thing right out of the hole. You then have to "reset" the clip by sliding the center out past the top of the clip. You then simply pop the clip back in the hole and push the center back down so it's flush.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You have to have a good set of fingernails too, once you push pin in, you can use your nails get under edge and remove. I use a thin hex T-handle to push center pin, and they are easy to put back. The ones on the belly are different, use a stubby phillips to back out center pin by unscrewing it, put back the same as the others.

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    No, I know how they work. I dealt with them initially but they do become brittle with age and they are costly to replace. On the 6th Gen, they are used to clip the lowers together and are not needed as the bolts from each side prevent them from moving. There are a couple of other spots on the bike that use them that I have retained, but most of them I have not replaced and have not had any issues.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I agree with you about the 6th gens, did the same on my 2003