Regulator rectifier

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by VT Viffer, Aug 31, 2007.

1. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey-

Just a word of caution about this e-tailer...

I ordered a new R/R from them about a week ago, got it in 3 days. Price was right, for sure. Good!:smile:

I opened the box to find a NON-FINNED old-style R/R. The one in the picture on the website was the new finned style. It was a VFR R/R, without any doubt. Bait and switch? BAD! :mad:

I was also charge $12.12 for shipping (3.5 lbs, CA to VT), supposedly by UPS Ground. Package arrived via USPS Priority Mail, without packing material or a shipping invoice. Package was far less than 3.5 lbs (more like 2), and USPS Priority Mail for 2.0 lbs or less is $7.50. Jacked again!:mad:

When I contacted them about it, they said they had e-mailed me about the switch (they had NOT), and that the non-finned R/R is BETTER than the finned one... Something about larger diodes... I think it's B/S. His explanation for the shipping discrepancy was retarded... Something about a system field that doesn't always work... Sounds like an eBay retailer selling an R/R for $1.00 with $159.99 in shipping. :mad:

So I guess if you really want to, you can use this company, but I would recommend against it.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I was really leary of them just looking at their website. Seems shady....IMO

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    They WERE shady.

I just hope the R/R lasts longer than a few rides!

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    VT:

I hope it lasts too my man. Do you know what manufacturer it is?

Maybe save up a few dollars and purchase an Electrosports or Ricks RR from the Dennis Kirk magazine and keep the one you just received as a back up.

BZ

5. Regulatorrectifier.com

Regulatorrectifier.com New Member

United States
    VT Viffer.

Sorry for the mix up on your order. I do remember your email about this issue. We had two orders go out that day for the same VFR 750 rectifier. One customer wanted the Honda OEM Shedigen Part, and that part was sent you. We are sorry for any inconvenience this caused, we did offer to exchange the part. Customers that do
    order the Heatsink version of the VFR 750 regulator rectifier, will get the part in
    the photo.

We have never had any issue with the Honda OEM Shedigen version of the heatsink version, shown below

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/c...f-vfr-750-vfr-regulator-rectifier-p-1749.html

As far as shipping goes, usually we tried to ship parts via usps priority mail to the East Coast. Your part should have arrived several days sooner than expected.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks
    Scott Pearsons
    www.regulatorrectifier.com

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, a re reply via this site from an e-tailer, never seen this before. His comment more the fact they wrote here, says tons. Cool to see there are folks / company's that do care.

7. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I would have to say a couple of things here:

1.) Actually getting a "non-finned" unit made my "custom heatsink" work a whole lot better. I don't think that putting a fan on a regular "finned" unit would have been as easy.
    2.) I am still riding the bike, so this R/R seems to be fine. Time will tell, however about it's longevity. New 12 ga. wiring should help.
    3.) I am not in the slander business, I feel like I told my story as it happened, and since R/R's are the Achilles Heel in these bikes, knowing where to get one at a good price and also having good quality is paramount. So when I got something completely different than the picture in the mail, along with paying a lot for one mode of shipping and getting a different shipping method left a bad taste in my mouth for R/R.com.

Cliff's Notes: R/R still working fine, no complaints about quality. Scott is a stand-up honest guy to deal with and this reply to my post says a lot about the level of customer service they want to portray. So if you want, give R/R.com a chance.

8. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Wow, a non-flaming rebuttal. Says a lot about the company... [​IMG]

Hate to say I'm still afraid of 3rd party stuff on THIS particular part. The upgraded Honda product has been rock solid for me. Anything that requires chopping into my electrical system just doesn't seem like a good fit.

9. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Just for clarifications' sake, NO electrical hacking was required for this R/R.

It was a DIRECT-FIT unit, it just had no cooling fins.

I hacked up a Pentium 3 heatsink/fan and installed it of my own free will. In addition, I replaced all of the R/R wiring with 12 ga., since my R/R connector was burnt up.

I would have to say that I am surprised that R/R.com FOUND my post here, and replied to it in a professional manner as well. Flaming in a VFR post would be like eTail suicide.

10. philly_speed_6

philly_speed_6 New Member

FYI,
    I ordered from this dealer and they were very responsive. Actually offered the connectors (mine melted) for free shipping. Good dude and order was correct.

Personally, no complaints at all.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm pretty impressed that they looked you up here and responded also. I will keep them in mind should I ever need another R/R just because they obviously are concerned about their reputation. That's better than many of the Honda dealers that have wronged our members in the past. I'm still thinking some kind of directory for keeping track of good/bad dealers would be a good thing. We'd need a way to keep it honest, though, and that's the hard part.

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The thread title of this was changed per request of the url holder. It was skewing the search listings from search engines to here rather than their site.

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That will learn them to come sneaking around here!