Reg/Rect

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Schwanze, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Schwanze

Schwanze New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all, first post here.

Has anyone ever fitted an R6 5EB Reg/Rect to a 6th gen

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Check out www.roadstercycle.com and see what they have. Jack has some good info and some great kits for our bikes. I literally just came from the website, ordered me a new SH847 kit.

mello dude likes this.
  3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Schwanze and welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

Despite being mechanically very reliable the 6th Gens and indeed many previous VFR versions (and other similar era Honda motorbikes) have suffered from bought in charging systems with the fairly dire OEM RR prone to failing and often taking with it the Stator, battery and possibly connectors on the loom too. Rather than replace like with like, many owners have chosen to fit Shindengen RRs instead of OEM. As for replacing the stator, in general it seems the OEM stator is considered to be the best option, as more often than not it fails trying to make up for a lack of power due to a defective RR.

Obviously it really does not matter where you source a Shindengen RR - and yes Yamaha fitted them as standard on many bikes, however if you install an RR from a smaller cc bike you should probably check the specs of the specific RR (numbers should be on the side) to ensure it will be compatible with the large RPM (and stator output) range of your VFR. Jack at Roadstercycle.com may be able to answer any concerns over compatibility. However I am pretty sure some people have successfully replaced OEM RRs with RRs taken from larger engine Yamahas. This thread may give you a few pointers..

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

Good luck let us know how you get on, and a post in the Introductions forum (with at least one photo of your VFR) will be most welcome.

SkiMad

4. Schwanze

Schwanze New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks mate, I'll take a look

5. yamalama

yamalama New Member

Canada
    the roadster adapter plate i received was way outta wack.