Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by thx1138, Jun 26, 2011.
Some photos of the simple rebuild process. I will have to annotate them later. This was one of two gear drive cassettes I got from ebay us from a 2300 mile old bike. I also got a lot of other parts which confirm the milage (eg. front disks with no measurable wear). The gear teeth are perfect but the main gear had been pushed off centre of the bearing (possibly during postage).
The 6003 roller bearings are cheap and easy to find (just not Chinese made ones - always go for Japanese EU or US manufactured bearings unless you want to be replacing them soon). The needle roller was a bugger to find and I could only source them from a bearing supplier in the UK, from memory they were $25 each.
Big gear clearly off centre
Detail of bearing mount/axle of big gear
Detail of the needle roller and the small gear
Top half (well, left or right side really) removed (the roller bearing in the big gear had a fair bit of play in it)
In bits (I did not want to pull the spring gear apart - nor did I need to, this motor had only done 2300 miles)
Cleaned and ready for re-assembly with favouite lube
The new bearing in place - fairly tight interference fit - used a freezing spray to make bearing go in a bit easier in the shop press
About to put top half of cassette on, everything well covered with assembly lube
Ready for torquing
Finished, now sealed in ziplock bag with silica gel. Ready to be pulled out and installed at the appropriate moment
This is great information to have. Thanks for the detailed pictures!
I will take more logical photos on the next one I do. It is worth mentioning that on mine the halfs seperated with a bit of persuasion. The part which was holding them together was the axle/shaft for the small gear - this was not removable from the bottom cassette half. When I put them back together some percussive maintenance was required to get this same axle to seat back into the lower cassette half - it must have pulled out by 1-2mm during disassembly. The axle/shaft for the big gear was removable using fingers and a fair bit of force.
Just found this thread again after a few years.
I have now rebuilt 4 cassettes and they all went very smoothly. When my stalled 85 project gets going again I will know how good a job I did.
Damn photobucket for ruining my photos.
I was just thinking that
If it was assembled in the first place, it can be disassembled and assembled again. Might take some doing, but when there's no other option, you just gotta go for it.
If anyone is interested I have now found a few sets of the correct needle roller bearings to rebuild the cam gear drive cassettes.
If you are interested message me and I will give you the details.
Separate names with a comma.