Rear fender/mud guard eliminator

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by smcmillen66, Jun 11, 2020.

1. smcmillen66

smcmillen66 New Member

United States
    I have a 1990 VFR750 with the long-ass rear mudguard that I'd like to tidy up.

I've searched the forums here, and the internet, and couldn't find any good info on rear fender/mudguard eliminator kit for 3rd Gen VFR.

Is there such a thing? Or a relatively clean DIY approach?

Thanks!

2. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's mine. Air saw and a cheap $8 led plate light. Cost me next to nothing. I have not seen any purpose built kits for the 3rd Gen bikes. 20180811_110657.jpg

Rckslick333 likes this.
  3. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    And a better picture without the plate
    20200611_202349.jpg

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
  5. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    Humm.... well every fuktard who owns his bike is allowed to modify it to his/her liking. If you buy it second hand you get what you get. I see you are missing the stalk rear turn signals. Also the rear side reflectors. Is that an aftermarket muffler?. We all modify our bikes to suit ourselves. If you like the rear fender then enjoy. Obviously the poster wanted something different. For myself I much prefer the slimmer look. Thanks for the photo. I forgot how huge the rear fender was. No regrets here. 0730171452c.jpg

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^nice picture, very cool action shot. Like I said, totally subjective, I have seen total hack jobs as far as cutting fenders off, wiring of HID lights etc. I bought a house a while ago, I had to paint every single stinking room, some with two prime coats and then the obligatory 2 top coats. Again totally subjective. The way I look at things is if the engineers and designers who know a hell of alot more than me had a particular design in mind and it is functional for keeping the rain spray and lousy road grime off your back when your riding well who am I to saw it off, again totally subjective.

I have another bike, different brand, make, model. The ones they sell in the EU have a large duck tail rear fender. Without going into details, I got one, had to deal with a Netherlands Ebayer but happy ending to the story. Eat what you want, smoke if you want, drink what you want, you get the picture. The white bike you were referring to was bought in 2015 with 15,000 miles for 500 dollars. I think it was a pretty good deal. I would have sent you my original hacked up fender for free (u-pay-shipping) if you had a change of mind in the future but now its too too late.

cheErS and happy/safe riding Peace out

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    First Wife, bought in 95 with 4000 miles, now 81,000 - most I paid for a motorcycle, 4500 dollars. Total sweet heart of a bike, hence the name I ripped off from Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar.

Attached Files:

8. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    As an almost 30 year auto tech for GM lately I have been dumbfounded by what engineers do to cars and trucks now. Most of the crap they put on new cars is unnecessary and distracting. Honda is my favorite manufacturer. I would not own a GM product. I realize they do things for a reason. Mostly to meet some law or regulation. The vfr with the stock exhaust sounds lame. Put a pipe on it and wow. What a change. Yes it doesn't meet federal regulations for noise but who cares. It just sounds better. I'm not trying to give you a hard time I'm just expressing what I wanted my vfr to look like. Your results may vary. Ride Safe...

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I can't speak for this year of bike, but I cut my rear fender back as I thought it was so butt ugly. I think I just cut it a little too short. I could have probably gotten away with just trimming a few inches off but I cut up behind the license plate and regretted it right quick. The regret has everything to deal with riding in the wet. If you don't ride on wet roads, then there is no issue. I liked the look but I rode a lot in the rain and it is amazing just how dirty those roads are out there.

A perfect solution would be for you to find out if there is in fact a kit available and just apply that after removing the fender, which you can save and put back on if you want.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The regret has everything to deal with riding in the wet. If you don't ride on wet roads, then there is no issue. I liked the look but I rode a lot in the rain and it is amazing just how dirty those roads are out there.

could'nt figure out the text quoting wrap thing - yeh, I rest my case. GM=General Mess.
    Out on the edge of the empty highway
    Howling at the blood on the moon
    Big VFR 750 rolling down my way
    Can't hit that border too soon - 122118 (1).jpg I am the pride of
    Cucamonga.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    That's a sweet looking bike.

12. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry GM.......Short for General Motors. Or CHEVY. Unfortunately I work on alot of American crap. Lol.

13. smcmillen66

smcmillen66 New Member

United States
    Hey everybody, thanks a lot for the responses. I'd like to keep the original for...originality sake, I guess. That's why I was wondering if there is an aftermarket kit out there.
    Don't think I'll cut it, but still look for some aftermarket or find something used I can hack up.
    Great looking bikes!

ridervfr likes this.
  14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

the immortal robert hunter wrote most of those words unless i'm wrong (again). :pipe:

fender eliminator is a necessary mod imo and allows for creative problem solving and some imagination.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You dah Man. Peace - How obstruse

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Its about aesthetics and balance for me, it just looks more balanced with the duck-tail fender. That's just me though - same can be said for some slip on exhaust pipes for these bikes, some look better than others. Glad you saw the light, like I said, I paid 200 dollars for an un-cut fender and looked for quite a while on Ebay, they are not as rare as hens teeth but getting there.