Rare Find! Brand New 2005 VFR Silver.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Maggot, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I just came back from Des Plaines Honda (Des Plaines, IL) Spring open house. When I walked in, the sales manager Mike, came up to me right away, and asked me to look at the VFR they just got. It was a brand new silver 2005. They are asking $7999.00 for it. He says the price is firm and was wondering if I new anybody who wanted it.

This shop is a big Goldwing seller and I think the last VFR they had was the 2007 I bought last September.

The story goes they had a customer looking for a new 2009 Goldwing in Yellow. They didn't have one so they had to find it at another dealer. The other dealer didn't want to give it up because the yellows are hard to find and easy to sell. They told Mike at Des Plaines they would sell it to him if he took this 2005 VFR that has been on the showroom floor off their hands. To get the yellow wing he also took the silver VFR.

Mike told be because it was sitting, they changed all the fluids.(Oil, brake, clutch and coolant.)

Because they sell very few VFR's I think somebody can negotiate a better deal. It is not on their website yet, but here is a link.

Des Plaines Honda Motorcycles - Honda GoldWing, Rune, ATV, Scooters and Motorcycle Accessories! - Illinois Dealer

Des Plaines Honda is about five minutes from O'Hare and I also live ten minutes from O'hare. I would be happy to give anybody a ride if they are interested. PM me. I think we need to find this lonely beauty a good home!

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I see 06s and 07s for that on ebay. Check KBB.com. That should give some idea of the value.

3. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Bitterpill, I took your suggestion and looked this up on E-bay and KBB. This is what I found.

KBB - I couldn't find anything on a NEW 2005 but this is what I found for a used 2005 VFR.

Retail Value - $7,130
    Trade in Value - $4,920
    These prices assume there is 20,600 miles on the clock because of its age. Unlike the cars at KBB I could not find a place to enter actual mileage. (0)

E-bay had a few new 2007's for $8,300 in Arkansas. They claim that price is out the door but say cash only, you must come to the dealership to make the deal and if your from out of state you have to add sales tax for your state! Realisticly that means over $9,000.

This 2005 Silver VFR is Brand New, perfect condition with 0 miles on the clock, comes with a full one year factory warranty and they are asking $7900! A good negotiator will get this bike in the mid to high 6K range or at the very least get it out the door for the asking price or less.

We all know it takes special people who know what the're getting to buy a VFR. Most shops around me don't have VFR's on the floor. The tourers buy the Wings, the Kids buy the CBR's. The VFR's sit. Thats why I get excited when I see one.

I still think this will become a good deal for someone!

4. Jessiah1

Jessiah1 New Member

Thats not the best price, as soon as you leave the dealer bike takes a nose dive in value due to it being an 05. I have an 08 Silver I would sell with only 600 miles for 8400, 3 years newer. When I was looking last summer I came across several 07's for 8k -8500 out the door. I am a pretty decent negotiator(sales experience) and I wouldnt pick that up for more than 6k even OTD. Just my opinion tho, might be worth more to someone else. After all there is no real big difference between the 05 and 08......... Problem for dealer is that they paid too much fo it and now they loose money no matter what, which is where the "firm" talk comes in, untill it collects dust for too long.

5. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    That's not a good price at ALL. I have a dealership here in Ohio that they are selling a 2006 VFR (NEW) for $7800.

Check out NADA for the vehicle prices. KBB is VERY inflated in what they list price wise.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Anything else that Mike can pass on that we should know about?

7. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Remember this is an asking price. Don't get hung up on the $7800. Every shop is going to try to get the highest price possible. My point is to look at the big picture, A new 2009 VFR is over 10K. Most VFR riders are looking for a sweet ride not a resale value. Most plan to keep it forever. So to get a new bike with all the trimmings, (o miles, full warranty, etc.) for 4k lower than list on a new 2009 is going to let someone who doesn't have a whole lot of cash join the VFR club. In the long run this person won't have any less of an experience on a 2005 vs. a 2009 but he may have reached higher and got a better bike than he would normally have been able to afford.

8. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure what your asking, so use that link and give him a call.

9. Badbilly

United States
    " just came back from Des Plaines Honda (Des Plaines, IL) Spring open house. When I walked in, the sales manager Mike, came up to me right away, and asked me to look at the VFR they just got. It was a brand new silver 2005. They are asking $7999.00 for it. He says the price is firm and was wondering if I new anybody who wanted it."

"Remember this is an asking price. Don't get hung up on the $7800."

The conflict in the above statements could be viewed as inconsistent coming from a "disinterested" third party.

10. hondajt

hondajt New Member

He meant the $7800, because of that other bike Badbilly. There is no conflict. Don't be so paranoid.

11. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

That is a nice find Maggot, but like most have said, it would be very hard to make a sale on that bike anywhere close to that $7999 price. I like the silver but still prefer the faster RWB color scheme ;)

I expect most people that buy a new bike will need to finance, and these days with financing becoming difficult to come by I would expect a bank may not even want to touch what is effectively a 4 y.o. bike and if they did I'd expect a less than favorable interest rate.

Someone could make a way better deal on a slightly used and newer bike without much shopping around.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Thanks. I already have a great VFR all paid for. The "other" bike must be that POS 750 with the really cool fairing. I will make a firm offer of $79.99 for that treasure if it's running and the shipping is prepaid.

Anybody have any info on average retail out the door on the VFR in question the year it was made?

13. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the offer.... I think I'll pass!

14. digitalhaze

digitalhaze New Member

I paid 8,000 cash, out the door for a red 07 without abs two months ago, seems they could certainly go lower.

15. Badbilly

United States
    LOL..

Mid 1970 and I'm in Ventura, CA working for a Texas outfit. The job was drilling a water well in an avocado grove. A feat unto itself.. The drill rig goes haywire and I have some days off until parts show up. Off I go to look at what else, chicas and bikes in that order. At the time I had a pretty nice 66 Bonnevile back in the Lone Star State. I had seen some pretty spiffy Hondas including a few of the racebikes which are just some different than street machines. Basically I felt I was a little too tall for what Honda was selling at the time, not particularly impressed by the welding in some spots but the engineering, fitment and overall design was pretty damned impressive.

I hit this dealer in Ventura and he has two 1969, 750 fours on display. One is for sale and the other one is a demo. I figure I can talk this dude into maybe a couple of turns around the block on the four banger. He tells me to take it out for the day and there are some really cool roads in and around Santa Barbara and Ojai.

Bottom line? When I went back home to Texas I rode the other 750.

16. joner7777

joner7777 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map

17. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

Not here in the US. I have people asking me all the time about my '07 RWB, they have no idea Honda still makes them and I often gets comments about old school racing my bike looks.

Too much advertising here towards the Superbikes (TV Show) and latest Metric Cruiser types, even some Dual Sports/Enduro types get some advertising these days but never do you see anything relating to any type of Sport Tourer.

Most of my friends either want a go fast between stop lights (CBR/R1/Etc) or a Cruise Night (VTX/HD/Victory) type ride, and rarely do they want to do a ride more than 80-100 miles.

18. joner7777

joner7777 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    [

Too much advertising here towards the Superbikes (TV Show) and latest Metric Cruiser types, even some Dual Sports/Enduro types get some advertising these days but never do you see anything relating to any type of Sport Tourer.

QUOTE]

All we get here on bike tv shows are -- American Chopper!
    Interesting how they fabricate them from the ground up, it`s just i could never imagine riding a 2 wheeled fire engine ,or a 2 wheeled welding bike with a welder on a trailer!!!
    We never get one ad or show for any sporty/touring bikes,never have.
    I wonder how the american choppers are doing now in a credit crunch ? because all we get is old re runs on sky tv!

19. Packman

Packman New Member

I just looked at an 07 VFR 800 RWB with 200 miles...yes 200, for $6999 from a private party, So better deals are definatley out there.

20. 2wheels4me

2wheels4me New Member

United States
    Map
    Take it easy on him guy's. He is just passing along info that there is a new, 0 miles VFR out there looking for a home. The price will be whatever deal somebody can work out with the dealer. Yes, there will always be good used deals out there. Lots of guy's buy thinking they will ride and then never do, then the wife makes them sell the bike.