questions about my 1986 vf500f

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by fastenough, Jun 2, 2014.

1. fastenough

fastenough New Member

i have a few questions that maybe you can help me with...

calipers, when the bike is on the stand, i can slightly wiggle the calipers (all 3) by hand (slightly). all of the bolts are tight. should there be a tiny bit of play there? when i squeeze the lever or step on the pedal, they get nice and solid (obviously because the pads are on the rotor)

the brakes all work very well, but ive noticed when i release the fronts quickly, there is a 'clunk' in the front end. ive checked every bolt, and everything is nice and tight, could this be the pads shifting?

rear hub... i took the rear wheel off and i can pull the hub out pretty easily, is this normal?

thanks!

2. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes, the calipers are a "floating" style and with pressure off the leaver or peddle they should move freely on the pins. The pins go through the caliper then into the caliper mount, they are only threaded at the top of the pin that screws into the caliper and "floats" on the pin in the mount. There should be a small stainless steel shim on the front calipers that hold the pads firm if its missing the pads can move a little giving you a small clunk. This in no way effects your breaking but it makes a little noise. They are called Anti-rattle clips.