Puzzled

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DeannaLee, Jul 19, 2010.

1. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

The FI light started to come on intermintently during my ride home yesterday (99 model). Bike continued to run well as it has in the past and thought, no big deal I will pull the codes when I get home. This is the puzzling part, there were no stored codes. I searched all through the shop manual looking for an answer but everything I researched and read pointed me towards pulling the codes. I have not been on it again to see if the light continued to come back but plan to tomorrow.

The fuel pump still primes and cuts off, no fuse issues and no performance issues. What am I missing? I bet it is something small that is going to make me feel stupid right after. Thoughts........

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have had the same problem with gen 6 for a while. Would trip FI light in high ambient temps but would not log a code unless I checked while active. Always ran fine but my ass would pucker over the light. It was 02 heater code , changed out the resistors and all good now.Maybe not your issue but if it runs good it is not a vital circuit and that is a clue in its self.

3. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    This dosen't sound like a really simple thing overlooked, but it could be just the same. I'm sure you weren't staring at the MIL while riding, but we need to know if it's blinking while you were riding or just coming on for a while and then going off again. Also try to note what conditions make it turn on or off such as hitting bumps or turning the bars one direction or another. It is a long shot but it is possible that the MIL feed circuit going into the cluster is being shorted to 12v causing the MIL to illuminate when there is no actual problem. Additionally the ECM could have an internal malfunction causing it to provide 12v to the MIL when there is no problem. Last but not at all least, there could be a legit problem and the ECM is not storing the code for some reason.

I think I would try to go out and ride her for a while to get the light to come on and pull over or get back home while the light is still on to see if you can pull codes from the ECM without shutting the bike down. Also couldn't hurt to take a look at the wiring for chaffing.

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    +1. My issue was rare and intermittent. Would throw a solid FI light all but two times and the two times it flashed a code I was on a winding rode and it was a choice of read code or crash. Finally caught it and looked it up and got it figured out.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

In my experience the FI light does not flash until you jump the connector.........I've only seen it illuminated once, but it came on and stayed on. Once the connector was jumpered, it began flashing and indicated that the vacuum line to the number 3 cylinder was not connected.......of course, this took place in the garage.

6. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Mine would go on and off. It was the air pressure sensor. It's on the right side. Towards rear from the back of the riders seat. Behind the tail piece plastic. It is on it's own metal bracket that is bolted with the right passenger peg. That fixed the code. I then would get it on and off. I started packing every electrical connection with electrical grease. Then I farted around with every female pin on the two ECM connectors to make sure they are making contact with the male pins in the ECM. I also made sure the ECM wasn't moving around.

7. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Thanks for chiming in here. Metallican, you are correct, I was not staring at the light the but was able to notice that it would illuminate then go out. Some times brighter than other but certainly not blinking. As for conditions, when I noticed it I was on a straight and flat section of road, no bumps, curves, nothing. I was returning from a ride where the ambient temps are much warmer than what I usually am in.

ECM, duh. Can't believe I over looked checking the connections on that. It has been the culprit in a few issues I have had. Not going to be able to put any miles on her until this weekend but will bring the jumper wire to try and retrieve a code. Can this be done though while still running? The process for code retrieval in the shop manual makes me think otherwise. Anyone every done.

Thanks again. I will be back after I get some miles on her.

8. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Crap, I read the book too fast. Allthough you ARE supposed to turn the key off before jumping the connector, I would suggest using the kill switch, put in neutral, and then jump the connector without turning the key off. I think they want you to turn the key off so you don't accidently clear the codes by connecting the terminals for a second and then slippng, thus telling the ECM to clear the codes. The far out condition that I'm trying to eliminate by not turning off the key is not losing voltage to the ECM, sometimes the "volitale" memory in the ECM will store the code and lose it when the voltage goes away. Just a thought, it might not even work, I guess I should read slower before giving out advise :doh:. If you do decide to try this don't forget to take your spare key to get the seat off with, otherwise you'll have to turn the ignition off to get the key out and remove the seat. I hope this makes sense to someone else and I'm not just rambling again...................................:bolt:

9. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I've always done it with ignition off, run switch off. Insert jumper. Turn ignition on then run switch on. Light blinks. This is as per the manual. Never given me any problems.

10. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Got out and got a few miles on the bike the other day and sure enough the Fi light would come on and then off again again. Once it was on for a few minutes but then went out again, other times it would have dull illumination then go out. The only real info I can bring forth is it seemed to happen above 4000 rpm and again when it was idling; ambient temp was 68 and bike temp was 182, nothing out of the norm.

Not able to check code without turning bike off, forgot other key, should have read your post before taking off. Once i got home though and check the codes, nada, zip, ziltch! Could this be a fuel filter issue? Maybe restricted flow is causing it?

I did check as much of wiring as I could , as well as the ECM plugs and wires with nothing obvious. Short pulling apart the upper fairing to check the actual light connection I am about out of ideas. I think next I am going to to check all connections on MAP and BARO sensors and any O2 sensors I can find. Is there a bench test for the ECM that anyone knows of? I hate to start blindly throwing parts at a problem but may start with the cheaper ones.

Frustrating!!!

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Deanna, are you running a powercommander? I remember having a simlar problem when I first got my PC and it didn't like the map I had chosen for some reason... Sorry, but that's all I have. I switched to a different map and it was gone after that (or else the bulb blew so I never saw it again)...

12. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    The service manual will specify tests for the electrical system. It may or may not be available for download on the site.

13. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

After a few hundred more miles, a myriad of explatives and a lot of observation I am leaning toward a short in the wiring somewhere. I have noticed that when the FI light does come on that once I tap the front brake lever it goes out and sometimes grabbing the brake lever makes it come on. My best guess point me to having to take the upper faring off and chasing down the short. You guys think that sounds about right or should I start looking in another spot?

14. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Sounds like it could very well be associated with front suspension travel leading you to inspect wiring, starting with that coming out of the cluster. Could be rubbing just right and gaining and losing the ground short when the front suspension jounces and rebounds. Good luck D, post up some pics if you find something so the class can learn.